Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fast and the Furious

Options
  • 17-09-2001 12:13am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went to see this tonight, the title's a bit lame but, by Jiminy, did this film rock.

Thumping soundtrack, decent machines, fantastic eye candy and some of the best car chase scenes known to man. Everything "Gone in 60 Seconds" wasn't.

And afterwards you see all the boy racers with the "mean machine" Nissan Micra 1.4s outside revving their engines like idiots. Somehoe 80 hp doesn't compare to Supra's with bigass turbos and nitrous kits. Superb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

A 1.4 Micra would be scary. I thought they were only 1.0.

Gone in 60 seconds had all that stuff as well though. And comparing a Supra to a Shelby Mustang doesn't even deserve to be written on the same page :)

Looks like a decent action flick though; prob gonna see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i contemplated going to it, but im sure i heard LB on the soundtrack, so i decided not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

I think I went to this yesterday but can remember absolutely nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i have go and see this... i might tonite actually. i have sooo much respect for vin diesel after seeing pitch black(must send a separate post)

this looks pretty cool. i liked gone in 60 seconds. i just love car chases... never get tired of them.

j

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you like car chases, I recommend you see a film from ~1973 called "Vanishing Point". The hero bets his dealer that he can drive from Denver to San Francisco non stop. It's one big amphetamine-fuelled car chase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

went to see this movie and... yes it rocked. granted i valet parked my brain before going in but still. it was cool... course the two farmers next to my mate got up at the end and said "what the fcuk was that all about" but never mind them. i must say that i like the dude taylor(?) for some reason. he is like a younger keanu. vin deisel was cool but he played kind of the same part as he did in pitch black. i hope he doesnt become a type cast actor.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just seen it.... i think i can sum it up in 3 words: boreing, predictable and unoriginal.

It sux, ok the cars r cool, the women sweet... but as a film it stinks, 10mins in n i knew exactly what it was goin to be about cop undercover, falls in love, befriends the villian yada yada same old bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

wait til you see sly stallone in driven ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well first of all they talk a hella lot of **** in it.

second of all the vast majority of the cars featured are ****.

thirdly the plot is absolutely ****.

fourthly much is made of the women, err not by me.

finally the ending was so so bad.

so thats five ****s onto what I liked about it.. :)

sound effects, brilliant, absolutely stunning, apparently they used 9 microphones in each of the main cars featured and recorded them going up and down tracks and doing powerslides, braking hard etc... you knew you were listening to the real thing (unlike most other car films).

music, ok so its all ****, but it goes well with this sort of film, i.e. play it loud during the whole thing so people can't focus on the lack of a plot.

the cars, can't help but love the supra and the rx7 and that s2000 oooooooh, screw the eclipse thats yet more ****.

you won't believe the amount of scum that appeared to liffey valley in their corsas civics and micras to see this, so you get the pleasure of coming out and seeing everyong pointing and laughing at them. (and then proceeding to put them off the road at the next roundabout, but we won't mention that)

conclusion: bad but decent enough if you like your cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

its a good film but there is 2 things wrong with it
    1. Too Technical
    2. Lack of character builing

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Robbo
    If you like car chases, I recommend you see a film from ~1973 called "Vanishing Point". The hero bets his dealer that he can drive from Denver to San Francisco non stop. It's one big amphetamine-fuelled car chase.

agreed. one of the best car related films ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

not the best car chase movie, but a good one for its generation(although it waas an inspiration for the videogame Interstate '76). if you want great exploding-innocent people getting run over car chases i will suggest you watch Ronin. the car chases are amazing imo + robert deniro. what else is there to say. (women need not apply)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Cars cool, Film shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Death trip 2000...........what a classic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I thought it was OK, twas better than some of the other tripe I have seen lately. But I do agree that it's too predictable, with a little overacting

<slow_motion_run>My Best Friends Dead!!, Nooooooooooo</slow_motion_run>

The cars were kewl, as were the women. It was a total leave your brain at the door flick and get ready for something that's all shiny and kewl, but it uses that to cover up the plot. TBH I do know ppl that have seen it twice, so generally it must appeal to some people in a big way.

;-phobos-)

that'd be Death Race 2000 not Death Trip 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Two words "Point Break" although I enjoyed fast and furious only because i did'nt expect much.

But it is Point break with cars.. The scene where vin diesel bring yer man paul walker to his house and all his homies are pissed is similar to a scene in point break and als the ending is the same.

The fu(kin supra is class

Advertisement