Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility to analyse C source code

Options
  • 24-11-1999 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a utility which does the opposite to the "Rational Rose" tool.

I need to give it a project (couple of C src/hdrs/makefiles) and get it to give me a control flow diagram/design spec or something similar.

(Rational Rose takes a design-spec from you and generates appropriate C/C++ code).

Some background so you see where I'm coming from: the objective to to port an RPC server project from the mainframe to a local POSIX environment.

However, major headaches are caused by the fact that whoever wrote it did neither of (a) create Design Docs, (b) comment their code[1]. This is causing a lot of hassle since the code is quite complex. There's no option to throw it back at them either (boy would I enjoy that).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Alastair.

1. Do the words "job security" have any relevance here? smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If I remember right you should be able to reverse engineer the project to give you what you want. I haven't used Rose but I know most of the UML packages allow reverse engineering.

KaYoS

Advertisement