Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Smiths

Options
  • 15-10-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

A toss up between Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead.

What's your favourite Smiths LP? 40 votes

The Smiths
    0%
    Meat Is Murder
    25%
    eclectichoneydoctor evilMrJoeSoapSprostonGreenfunktasticvibrantdaveymackKingmakerLoz84ColmDawson 10 votes
    The Queen Is Dead
    7%
    umastolenwineIrish_rat 3 votes
    Strangeways, Here We Come
    67%
    RobboD-GenerateJimi-SpandexmbfMrGumpbuzzerbuckleyDoctor JgobbynlgbbbblthmlucernarianJohnmarwoodspiderlegsJonny Arsonpadraig_fMan on mirSweetness!Ciaran*Atrocity 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Queen is Dead by a long shot

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

With There is a light that never goes out and I know its over , its got to be The Queen is Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

John2 wrote:
    The Queen is Dead by a long shot

Hey! You stole my line ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

NME's review of Strangeways [12 Sept 1987] claimed it 'surpassed' The Queen Is Dead in a number of ways. I was surprised reading that at the time and when the album was released some 16 days later didn't change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭m

Why didn`t you vote for it then ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

The Queen Is Dead
    What about a Hatful of Hollow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

The queen is dead!!

m wrote:
    Why didn`t you vote for it then ?

I said I was surprised to read that NME considered Strangeways better than TQID. I don't think it is a better album.

also
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    A toss up between Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead.

uma wrote:
    What about a Hatful of Hollow ?

Hatful Of Hollow, like The World Won't Listen, Louder Than Bombs, Best 1, Best 2 and The Singles is a compilation.

And compilations don't count. Too much like cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

louder than bombs/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The Queen Is Dead wins it for me just about from the debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah come on lads,pull yourselves together.The Queen Is Dead?You're having a laugh!Strangeways is clearly the cream of the crop.I'm guessing there was a lot of ale and cider drunk last night.Do yourselves a favour and listen to the albums again.and come back with an apology and a new vote.thanks

Pighead wrote:
    Ah come on lads,pull yourselves together.The Queen Is Dead?You're having a laugh!Strangeways is clearly the cream of the crop.I'm guessing there was a lot of ale and cider drunk last night.Do yourselves a favour and listen to the albums again.and come back with an apology and a new vote.thanks

Nah, The Queen is Dead is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The Queen Is Dead has my three favourite Smiths songs - There Is A Light, Mr. Shankly and I Know Its Over - Strangeways is close, and Louder than Bombs (if you were counting it) probably has a better collection of songs, but TQID is my vote anyway.

Hatful of Hollow and Louder than Bombs/The World Won't Listen have to be given more respect than Best 1, Best 2 and Singles, because they were released during the Smiths life, and contained songs that weren't on other albums. A non-album singles and b-sides collection is different to a greatest hits.

Karlusss wrote:
    Hatful of Hollow and Louder than Bombs/The World Won't Listen have to be given more respect than Best 1, Best 2 and Singles, because they were released during the Smiths life, and contained songs that weren't on other albums. A non-album singles and b-sides collection is different to a greatest hits.

Hatful of Hollow, Louder Than Bombs and The World Won't Listen are essential purchases as opposed to the cynical moneymaking scams that Best 1, Best 2 and The Singles were.

The Australian double LP version of The World Won't Listen is particularly nice. 28 songs and a nice gatefold sleeve. Virgin had a bunch of them in stock in December 1987 for £14.99.

An album is statement, a snapshot of a moment in time, a painted and coherent canvas. A compilation is made of various strands and bits of paint and doesn't have a place on a best albums poll.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The Australian double LP version of The World Won't Listen is particularly nice. 28 songs and a nice gatefold sleeve. Virgin had a bunch of them in stock in December 1987 for £14.99.

I'll grab my time machine so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

John2 wrote:
    I'll grab my time machine so...

lol, just what I was thinking.

That's a pretty obscure thing to remember, I must say.

I has me all the albums on CD, and none on vinyl. Does this make me a blow-in? *worries*

The Queen Is Dead
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Hatful Of Hollow, like The World Won't Listen, Louder Than Bombs, Best 1, Best 2 and The Singles is a compilation.

And compilations don't count. Too much like cheating.

You were obviuosly not around a tthe time if you t hink a Hatful of Hollow is like louder than bombs.

Sure some songs were off previous albums but most were new and were not !

Speaking to Andy Rourke recently he said that the band considere A Hatful to be their 5th album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

The Queen Is Dead:

I don't think I can pick a favourite, but this was where Moz reached his peak lyrically

uma wrote:
    You were obviuosly not around a tthe time if you t hink a Hatful of Hollow is like louder than bombs.

These uninformed and crass comments will not go unchallenged.

I bought my copy of Hatful of Hollow in Sinnotts, Waterford on 15 November 1984. It had been released the previous Monday and The Smiths had played in the city's Savoy venue the night beforehand. The price was £4.99. Morrissey had been in the shop that morning signing copies.

I saw them play live in the National Stadium in February 1986.

I was very much 'around at the time'.
    uma wrote:
    Sure some songs were off previous albums but most were new and were not !

That's simply untrue.

William It Was Really Nothing - had been released as a single in August 1984.
    What Difference Does It Make? - (Peel session) The original version had been released as a single in January 1984. It also featured on the debut album The Smiths, released February 1984.
    These Things Take Time - (Jensen session) The original version had been released on the b-side of What Difference Does It Make? in January 1984.
    This Charming Man - (Peel session). The original version had been released as a single in September 1983.
    How Soon Is Now? - had been released on the b-side of William It Was Really Nothing in August 1984.
    Handsome Devil - (Peel session). The original version had been released on the b-side of Hand In Glove in May 1983.
    Hand In Glove - had been released as a single in May 1983. A different version also featured on the debut album The Smiths, released February 1984.
    Still Ill - (Peel session). The original version appeared on the debut album The Smiths, released February 1984.
    Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - had been released as a single in May 1984.
    This Night Has Opened My Eyes - (Peel session). Previously unreleased.
    You've Got Everything Now - (Jensen session). The original version appeared on the debut album The Smiths, released February 1984.
    Accept Yourself - (Jensen session). The original version had been released on the b-side of This Charming Man in September 1983.
    Girl Afraid - had been released on the b-side of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now in May 1984.
    Back To The Old House - (Peel session). The original version had been released on the b-side of What Difference Does It Make? in January 1984.
    Reel Around The Fountain - (Peel session). The original version appeared on the debut album The Smiths, released February 1984.
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - had been released on the b-side of William It Was Really Nothing in August 1984

You will see that only ONE song was previously unreleased. So much for your comment that 'most were new'. At the time The Smiths only had ONE previous album, not 'previous albums'.

Louder Than Bombs had 24 songs, made up of
    Peel sessions - 3
    Singles/b-sides - 20
    This Night Has Opened My Eyes

In summary, think before you post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

My ignorance but who is John Mccormack ?:confused:

marwood wrote:
    My ignorance but who is John Mccormack ?:confused:

A local man from my hometown of New Ross who happens to be a GAA fanatic. He was canvassed by a reporter in the aftermath of Ireland's success at Italia 90 and the above is his response.

Karlusss wrote:
    lol, just what I was thinking.

My copy of The World Won't Listen double LP still has the price tag on it.;)
    Karlusss wrote:
    I has me all the albums on CD, and none on vinyl. Does this make me a blow-in? *worries*

Kinda ;)

As far as I recall, The Queen Is Dead was the first Smiths album to get a simultaneous CD release.

Meat Is Murder CD followed two months after the LP/cassette while The Smiths didn't arrive on CD until October 1986.

You're a Smithsapedia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz84

Meat Is Murder
    Favourite: The Smiths
    Best: The Queen Is Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Meat Is Murder
    Tough one, but I've gone with The Smiths.

Still Ill and What difference are great songs and I believe Johnny Marr was only 18 when he co-wrote them. Incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Is there any truth in the rumour that The Smiths are reforming?

The Queen Is Dead
    Very easy to wind you up nlgbbbbth !;) :D

And No I never did meet Andy Rourke.......;)

As for this " rumour" its rubbish.

Morrissey is recording a new album as we speak in Rome.

• Advertisement

uma wrote:
    Very easy to wind you up nlgbbbbth !;) :D

What is your point?

You posted a comment, I posted a reply.
    What else do you expect?

Advertisement