Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apathy

Options
  • 15-10-2005 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I got into a conversation with an acquantance of mine and he started ranting on about how apathy has become the state of mind of the dominant class in the human heirarchy. He said that if humans dont start caring about what happens to us or what is around us, we are eventually headed down a road that will lead to a new cycle in human history (which he said in this case was about 4 to 5 thousand years old) and we will all die and stuff. I thought it was cool, but didnt really know how to respond as im not smart enough to say stuff about that. Just thought id post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Really there isnt a lot anyone can say to you in reply to your post. Your friend would have to come here and explain his theory and offer some kind of proof that apathy has become "the state of mind of the dominant class in the human heirarchy." I would be also be very interested in finding out who the dominant class is and how your friend has a window into their state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yup - get this person to join boards! :-)

Also, this seems more suited to humanities, so I'm moving it from the philosophy board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

simu wrote:
    get this person to join boards!
    If he can be bothered. If not, allow him to give himself a congratulatory pat on the back for being right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

Meh. Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Apathy isn't a new thing. Most of the human race are half brained twits.

Methinks the romans called them plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

In my experience people who go on about how other people don't care about stuff are normally just trying to point out who much they care

Also, I doubt your friend will find another time in the history of humanity where people as a whole cared so much about the world beyound their simple lives. I find it hard to believe that serfs in the middle ages cared that much about whale hunting or famine in africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

COCK wrote:
    He said that if humans dont start caring about what happens to us or what is around us, we are eventually headed down a road that will lead to a new cycle in human history (which he said in this case was about 4 to 5 thousand years old) and we will all die and stuff.

We'll all die anyway ;)

Seriously though...while your friend has a point, what he perhaps failed to mention was that if we start caring about what happens around us and stuff, we are also headed down a road which will lead to a new cycle in human history.

Of such rejection of the status quo has many an empire disappeared.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

bonkey wrote:
    We'll all die anyway ;)

Of such rejection of the status quo has many an empire disappeared.

In the Irish sense I believe we are presented with few alternatives. In the government sense, the behaviour of the current government in certain areas should have resulted in the imprisonment/ejection of many members of the Dáil with removal of their benefits. But has it happened. Short answer no.

Problem is though that are no real alternatives. Without going into a political rant, there is no "great white hope" in terms if party alternatives. You cant blame the masses for thinking "What the hell if I vote or care anyway; nothing is going to be done about it". If goverments dont get the answer they want, they keep holding referendums until they do. Take the masses seriously? I think not.

You cant honestly blame the guy in the street for his apathy. 000's of taxi drivers strike and cause general chaos for their cause and are abided by the cops etc.

Reclaim the streets turns into a bloodbath.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

I think I might have an idea of what COCK is on about, but I'll wait for him.
    What a nickname by the way! :p

*waiting*

Modern Society needs an enema

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

A lil' more info, please? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Think that was yet another tool reference: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/tool/139381.html

What's with this forum and tool. Brilliant lyrics though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement