Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earnings

Options
  • 15-10-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Newer was thinking about that before now. Just wondering what earnings should I expect in the following jobs:
    1) Application Software Developer (no experience/experienced)
    2) System Software Developer (no exp/exp)
    3) Network Administrator
    4) 3D and other aspects of games developing
    5) web: html, php, flash etc.
    6) simple computer technician (reinstall windows, clean out spyware etc.)

???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Paul_D wrote:
    6) simple computer technician (reinstall windows, clean out spyware etc.)

That is merely your duty to your family, friends, and any random person you meet who finds out you know what a computer is. You don't get paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

^ I get paid for it

Webmonkey wrote:
    ^ I get paid for it

Hmm, I thought there was some sort of moral code on that. Never mind. I handle it, instead, by running out of the room screaming whenever anyone mentions the phrases "internet doesn't work", "printer" or "need a bit of help writing a program".

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Webmonkey wrote:
    ^ I get paid for it

I also was working on this type of a job. That was LCVP work expirience actually. I didn't get paid of course, but the employer gets big money for this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah its the number one problem for repairs at work. Thank god for virus's and spyware :) Keeps the world going around (computing world anyways)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Webmonkey wrote:
    Yeah its the number one problem for repairs at work. Thank god for virus's and spyware :) Keeps the world going around (computing world anyways)

There is a bad side to that though. I generally help out local neighbours free of charge as long as they don't hassle me at crazy hours or know I am busy (and they help me out with stuff too :)).

Anyway. Got a taxi earlier in the year and the taxi driver telling me about how his machine is acting very slow and he sent it in to get repaired. Which they did but a month later it went slow again. So asked him to bring it around to me.

Checked it out and the company he had sent it to, to get fixed had done the following.
    - Formatted the hard drive (clever enough to ask him to make backups).
    - Reinstalled the operating system.

However reading the report it appears all he had was spyware and they didn't have to be so drastic at all. (this appears to be the norm with a lot of places).

About an hours work with 2 spyware programs totally cleaned out his machine of spyware and I set him up with AVG and told him how it all worked. He hasn't had any problems with the machine since.

I can only assume the company made a half-assed job was so they would keep getting cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If they charge by the hour then its going to be cheaper that way. Also if he has backup's it makes it a lot easier :)

I have started charging for any tech support simply because you get a lot of requests. I also get people who would not respect my personal time and would always ring me up with questions on how to fix things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

With regards to original topic :)

Not too sure but usually web programmer and tech support are lower. Depends on what sort of area you get into with networking. I work in infrastructure on work exp. :) People on my team are earning 50 - 100k (Sterling) (Contracters on the team who are getting the higher end)

Depends on what company you goto really as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fmicrochip

Just wondering what earnings should I expect in the following jobs
    This should give you an idea:

http://www.cpl.ie/pdf/cpl_salaryguide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Fmicrochip wrote:
    This should give you an idea:

http://www.cpl.ie/pdf/cpl_salaryguide.pdf

wow, that's a goog guide.
    but why do contracters get a lot more then "Permanent"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Because they live a ****ty existance and don't know if they're going to be in a job from month to month.

S

Hobbes wrote:
    I can only assume the company made a half-assed job was so they would keep getting cash.

Welcome to our modern consumer-tastic society.
    Paul_D wrote:
    wow, that's a goog guide.
    but why do contracters get a lot more then "Permanent"?

They have to deal with a lot of this sort of thing, often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

Webmonkey wrote:
    ^ I get paid for it

i hate you
    :(

Advertisement