Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Feast for Crows discussion. Spoiler warning. SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Finally.

Thought I'd never make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Is this the last in the series? I haven't read any of them, but I don't really like to start reading a series which hasn't been finished yet (eg WOT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was a bit like that beforehand.

Don't wait. It's almost criminal to deprive yourself of such a good read.

A Song Of Ice And Fire, that is, not WOT.

I eagerly await. Must be getting near the end, there aren't many major characters left alive at this point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'd say the impact would be greater if you read all the books in one go and not strung out......if you have the patience wait until it's all finished at least he has an ending planned unlike others :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Is A Song of Fire and Ice worth a read? Bear in mind that LotR is pretty much the only fantasy book I like (I presume this is because I read it so young that it made such a big impression on me) mainly because I find it more human and real than anything else I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They're both very very different stories. A song Of Ice And Fire is much easier reading than LOTR, without being dumbed down. Think King Arthur style setting, with knights and jousting and fair maidens and the like, but with a very heavy dose of gritty reality and vicious politics thrown in. Where LOTR had shining paragons of virtue and completely evil villains, in ASOIAF, every hero has big flaws, and every bad guy has a few redeeming features.

Each chapter is from the point of view of a particular character, so the style keeps changing enough to keep you interested, but not so much that it breaks up the flow of the story. There's always something interesting in each chapter, and you'll regularly exclaim to yourself "Holy crap! That guy didn't just DO that, did he?" The scheming and backstabbing is truly nasty and highly entertaining, and just doesn't let up, but it never gets tired.

There's very little "real" magic in it. About the only people who believe in it are the people capable of doing it, and they're practically non-existant. What magic there is is almost all horrible and destructive, and has a heavy cost.

I think it's a great story about an entire kingdom falling into total chaos while it really should be getting ready for its real enemies.

Really, go read it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Sarky wrote:
    They're both very very different stories. A song Of Ice And Fire is much easier reading than LOTR, without being dumbed down. Think King Arthur style setting, with knights and jousting and fair maidens and the like, but with a very heavy dose of gritty reality and vicious politics thrown in. Where LOTR had shining paragons of virtue and completely evil villains, in ASOIAF, every hero has big flaws, and every bad guy has a few redeeming features.

Each chapter is from the point of view of a particular character, so the style keeps changing enough to keep you interested, but not so much that it breaks up the flow of the story. There's always something interesting in each chapter, and you'll regularly exclaim to yourself "Holy crap! That guy didn't just DO that, did he?" The scheming and backstabbing is truly nasty and highly entertaining, and just doesn't let up, but it never gets tired.

There's very little "real" magic in it. About the only people who believe in it are the people capable of doing it, and they're practically non-existant. What magic there is is almost all horrible and destructive, and has a heavy cost.

I think it's a great story about an entire kingdom falling into total chaos while it really should be getting ready for its real enemies.

Really, go read it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

It really does sound damned good I must say. Griity reality and viscious politics with abuse of 'magic' is precisely what I want from a fantasy book. Looks like I've no option but to splash some cash ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The first book is not quite as gripping as the rest so don't think less of the series for it, once you get into it it's very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Is A Song of Fire and Ice worth a read? Bear in mind that LotR is pretty much the only fantasy book I like (I presume this is because I read it so young that it made such a big impression on me) mainly because I find it more human and real than anything else I've read.

They're fantastic. My favourite books.

Originally the series was going to be 6 books long, and book 4 wasn't meant to be due for another while yet. Possibly because people were beginning to froth with impatience (Book 3 was released in 2000), Martin decided to split book 4 in two, with book 5 now being the other "half" of it and extending the series to 7 books.

Hardcover is out Monday at 28e in Easons, paperback is scandalously not out till May 2006

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bought and started the first of this series yesterday, on foot of this thread...

Your reputations are on the line! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

argh! my post from yesterday is gone. Damn you db corruption!!!

Anyhoo, bought it yesterday, in Hoggs Figgs on dawson st. (€25) it was the last one left straight inside the door. Had been in waterstones across the road just before it and they said they sold out completely last week. (If i'd known they were on sale there last week...)
    Going to take my time reading this and savour every chapter.

Have a little faith The Atheist (ho ho i'm so funny) they are a fantastic series. I re-read book 3 just to get back up to speed on whats was happening. If you dont like the series then I'm afraid that the problem is with you and not the books! :D

Scruff wrote:
    If you dont like the series then I'm afraid that the problem is with you and not the books! :D
    Must... finish... book...

It's not bad so far. I know real stories take a little while to get going so I'll stick with it. My problem is lack of continuous reading time. Every time I pick it up it's like, "so what kingdom was Prince Wolfzredhoop from again?!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Every time I pick it up it's like, "so what kingdom was Prince Wolfzredhoop from again?!" :D

That's why there's a handy appendix at the end of each book which tells you just that. :D

I bought Feast For Crows yesterday, but wont get a chance to read it for a while - i just started another big book which will keep me busy for some time.

Jesus, Crows is a monster isn't it? And its only half of what the book was originally going to be. No wonder they had to split it in two......

Branoic wrote:
    That's why there's a handy appendix at the end of each book which tells you just that. :D
    So there is! Huzzah!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Scruff wrote:
    Anyhoo, bought it yesterday, in Hoggs Figgs on dawson st. (€25) it was the last one left straight inside the door. Had been in waterstones across the road just before it and they said they sold out completely last week. (If i'd known they were on sale there last week...)

Just got it today (Sat) after a fruitless search last sunday :(

I saw it in Waterstones in Jervis for €27 but H&F on Dawson street have it for €22. Needless to say I got it from them!

There were only 2 copies of it on the shelf and one in the window...hopefully they have more out back...

Now to lock myself away and not come out until its finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

It's just not fair!

I went out and bought a copy on sunday, but (and this is a biggie) I've just started reading Fools Fate...
    Normally I'd be quite happy to read the two concurrently, but...it's the last book that deals with Fitz! I must know what happens to the man!
    And after all my months of bellyaching for A Feast For Crows...

Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. After all, the last four (technically five) books were fantastic. I'll have to have a wee look back to see where things left off though.

Branoic wrote:
    Jesus, Crows is a monster isn't it? And its only half of what the book was originally going to be. No wonder they had to split it in two......

Tis indeed though i find the pace a bit slower than the rest
    probably because of the introduction of all the new characters
    and the fact that i'm reading at a much slower pace than i should be, only on page 250 :rolleyes:

another reason for the slower pace can is explained here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/gap.html

one problem that i am having is where thring to place where the hell most of the places in the story are. There is only a detailed map of the Iron lands but no detailed maps for North and South Westerous or for the Great Eastern Continent, Bravoss, the Free Cities etc.
    Anyone know if such a detailed map exists?

/edit
    seek and you shall find. quite detailed maps with more towns on them than the maps in the book: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Images/Images01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

oh dear, I thought GRRM was really good at killing people off, surprised to learn that there are loads of new characters, foolishly I had assumed that the first 4 books had set the stage and that few new major characters would be necessary.

I was going to go and buy this today ( just re - read the previous 4 to remind myself what was going on) but now I'm wondering if this will go the same route as Feist, Jordan etc. and wander aimlessly for thousands of pages while losing sight of the plot.

Is there a definitive end in sight ?

Damn you Jordan for turning me into such a cynic.

maybe I'd be better off waiting for all fantasy series to be finished before picking up book one ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I started reading the first book on friday night and finished it last night, couldn't put it down, a cracking read!

excellent smithers, another convert:)

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    I started reading the first book on friday night and finished it last night, couldn't put it down, a cracking read!
    Sweet bejasus Beruthiel I want your life! I'm only on page 300 or so after 10 days because I can't get a moment's peace. I think I need a good leg break to get some reading done.

The feckin' rush hour DART doesn't have comfy armchairs. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Just finished FFC and quite frankly Im disappointed. As GRRM mentioned on the website it only concerns about half the characters from the first 3 books.

Unfortunate its mostly the 'B-list' characters. Most of the best characters (imo) wont be seen until A Dance with Dragons. (Daenerys, Jon Snow, Stannis etc)

So we get hundreds of pages of pointless to-ing and fro-ing mostly with character I personally dont give a toss about. The only plus point is that some of them (apparently) get killed off.

Definately not worth the wait in my opinion.

(but you shouldn’t be reading this thread if u haven’t read the book!)
    Finished is about a week and a half ago. I'd agree partially with secret_squirrel that the best characters with the storylines most relevant to the impending conflict with the Others wont be unveiled until Dance with Dragons, this booked showed the turmoil as strife that still tears Westeros apart and some crucial developments to that conflict:

The introduction of Euron Crow's and his unveiling of the horn that can control dragons that he found in the ruins of Valeria sets him up to be a pivotal character in the future.

The revelations of the goings on in Dorne and what has been strongly hinted at by Prince Martel is that his son is on a Mission to seek the betrothal to Dannerys and thereby giving her a route and allies to reclaim the Throne of Swords and for him to get revenge on the Lannisters.

The folly of Cersai, letting the military arm of the religion reform and her subsequence imprisonment and impending trial. If found guilty, the lannister hold on the throne will be tenuous at best unless Ser Kevan becomes regent for Thomen. If she is innocent then Margarey will be put to death and the wrath of Highgarden will follow.

Sam joining the Citadel to become a maester and the faction there that believe in the coming of the Dragons and related magic.

Ah there was loads of great stuff. That said I wasn’t too interested in Brienne or Sansa's stories at all. Felt they were padding we could have done without. Liked the development of Jamie though.

So all in all I though it was very good, not brilliant, but well worth buying.
    Can’t wait for a Dance with Dragons. I'd say there still is enough plot left for another 3 books after a Dance with Dragons, here's hoping George keeps his focus and gets to finish them without short cuts!

Advertisement