Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux, Triple boots and h/ds.

Options
  • 19-11-1999 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Right,
    stayed up til 3am last nite doing a triple boot. Got Nt, win98 and linux(RED HAT 6.0) running alongside eachother and they dont seem to be fighting with eachother, "yet". I have a 16gig h.d and a 20gig h.d. Currently the 20 gig aint connected as i have all my files backed up on that. Now heres the prob, the 16gig has root, /var, /usr, /home, formated by linux in 2gig partitions and a 256meg swap file. Nt and win98 r running of one 2 gig fat 16 partition. So in total, bout 10256 megs are being used. So i should have bout 5 and halfs gigs+ plus left about to partition. Now, linux sees to as free space to be partitioned while fdisk sees this as an extended dos drive which i cant format or access. I tried to delete it but fdisk says i gotta to get rid of the logical drives 1st which there aint any of. Confused yet?? I am.
    So any ideas. Now I know that winnt and 98 have probs reading h/ds over 8 or 10 gigs. So do i need to d/l maxblast to coorect the prob r is there something else i should know about. I'm making this post from college so i havent really played rounf trying to get the 6gigs back, but i woodnt mind some insight b4 i started. I need it to be fat 16 btw. On another note, I'm totally new to linux and i have to say its looking pretty damn cool, Wish u didnt have to mount cdroms tho and whats the story with modem and soundcards??
    F.
    Ps. Sorry for the long post. On another topic, Is there any need for 98 and 95 anymore now that Direct X 7.0 is out for NT??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Omar

Windows fdisk ****s up when there are ext2 partitions on the same disk.
    If you want to do any partitioning use linux fdisk or sometimes partition magic does the trick.

Ðeclan $hanaghy
    4th Computer Engineering
    University of Limerick
    9637184@student.ul.ie
    www.csn.ul.ie/~dek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

Nice1, ta
    Yeah, i reckon fdisk is seeing 3linux partitions as 1 ext partition which is kinda bad in way cause where the fook is the other 6gigs then??
    F

Advertisement