Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Full Moon and how we are affected???

Options
  • 14-10-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭

There is a full moon next Monday (October 17) and if you look up tonight you will see that it is 80 - 90% full. Anyone believe that we are affected by the power of the moon.

I certainly do. I have studied quite a few individuals over a long period of time and have seen a distinct change in their behaviour in the 3 - 4 day cycle preceeding the full moon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Aye, definitly affected I'd say. Although I would generally be conscious of the full moon and happy when I see it anyway.

I've heard that there's scientific backup of somesort to the argument, but I've never looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

According to some studies done in the U.S (with law enforcement and emergency services) they suggest increased crime on the streets during a full moon.

can't remember where i read all this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

According to some studies done in the U.S (with law enforcement and emergency services) they suggest increased crime on the streets during a full moon.

can't remember where i read all this though!
    I think if you are out at any of the nightclubs this weekend you will certainly see an increase in violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

There is a spot of good weather here at the moment, as i'm sure you've noticed, which would encourage more to be on the streets also.

And thats where all the trouble starts! except for some scuffles in nightclubs, but atleast some bouncers can take care of that.

I don't think there is any mysterious reason why there is more violent crime on the streets because of a "fool" moon. ;)

but there definetely are more people on the streets.

here are some articles similar to what i read in the past.

Can the Full Moon
    Affect Human Behavior?

http://www.innerself.com/Astrology/full_moon.htm

Moonstruck! Does The Full Moon Influence Behavior?
    http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/moon.html

Moon Phases and the Crime Rate
    http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970103b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I think this should be taken out of the archives

So has anyone got anymore opinions on the full moon theory.

• Advertisement

The proof is on the boards ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

The fact that our bodies are 60% water and the moon controls the tides, I reckon a full moon has a huge impact!!

Its amazing the amount of people who have dodgy sleep/dreams the nights around a full moon!!

muffler wrote:
    The proof is on the boards ;);)

will have to moniter that one muffler, is there something in your typing due to hair on your wrists or summit :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think it is the hair on the palm of his hands.

smashey wrote:
    I think it is the hair on the palm of his hands.
    Thats from throwing the cat out at night:D

• Advertisement

A good friend of mine first alerted me to the strange power of the moon. He works as a barman and has done for well over 30 years so he has seen it all.

I recall a few years ago when he first mentioned it. He told me to pop in to the bar on a particular night and he named 3 individuals who would be there either that night or the folowing night. These 3 particular guys would only be in the pub now and again but when they did go in they went at it like it was going out of fashion.

Sure enough when I went in on the first night all 3 were there and making asses of themselves.

My mate has watched this behaviour for some years now and he can predict who will be in the pub on given nights, who will turn a wee bit rowdy when normally they are timid, who will take 10 pints instead of the usual 4 or 5, who will sing a song when wild horses wouln't normally get them to sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It must be the moon and not rally weekend that makes them young fellas drive like nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

branners69 wrote:
    The fact that our bodies are 60% water and the moon controls the tides, I reckon a full moon has a huge impact!!

Closer to 85% I heard?

A zillion years ago I went out with a girl who was a care worker in St.Michael's House. She used to tell me the full moon definitely affected the patients.

Ask any guard or nurse (probably married!) and they'll tell you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

branners69 wrote:
    But the moon and the sun controls the tides cause it exerts a gravitational pull on the earth. Our whole body would be subject to this force no matter how much water is in it.

ironically this was a conversation i had with a colleague a while ago where it was said that boncers would be aware of this whole scenario. I was a bouncer for a couple of years and i never really noticed it but that is not to say there is no support to this. I do remember the hassle being seasonal but never thought anymore it.

but i have thought some more of it and there is something in this theory, I am not claiming a menstrual thing here and i am not allocating blame to women, far from it, but this is both a male and female thing.

Watch this space.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But the moon and the sun controls the tides cause it exerts a gravitational pull on the earth. Our whole body would be subject to this force no matter how much water is in it.
    Im not so sure about the sun having any gravitational control over the tides but yes indeed the moon is responsible for moving oceans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Im not so sure about the sun having any gravitational control over the tides but yes indeed the moon is responsible for moving oceans
    http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1996/jun/tides.html
    When the sun and moon are aligned, there are exceptionally strong gravitational forces, causing very high and very low tides which are called spring tides, though they have nothing to do with the season.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

It is a known fact that the full moon effects people, particularly people with psychiatric problems. The word Lunatic is derived from Luna which is the Latan for Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Ciaran500 wrote:
    http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1996/jun/tides.html
    When the sun and moon are aligned, there are exceptionally strong gravitational forces, causing very high and very low tides which are called spring tides, though they have nothing to do with the season.

:D

Agreed but isnt it the moon pulling towards the sun not the other way round, so basically the moon instigates the gravitational pull??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

muffler wrote:
    A good friend of mine first alerted me to the strange power of the moon. He works as a barman and has done for well over 30 years so he has seen it all.

I recall a few years ago when he first mentioned it. He told me to pop in to the bar on a particular night and he named 3 individuals who would be there either that night or the folowing night. These 3 particular guys would only be in the pub now and again but when they did go in they went at it like it was going out of fashion.

Sure enough when I went in on the first night all 3 were there and making asses of themselves.

My mate has watched this behaviour for some years now and he can predict who will be in the pub on given nights, who will turn a wee bit rowdy when normally they are timid, who will take 10 pints instead of the usual 4 or 5,
    who will sing a song when wild horses wouln't normally get them to sing.

i totally agree, used to work in a bar myself and certain individuals would just go nuts around a full moon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

branners69 wrote:
    Agreed but isnt it the moon pulling towards the sun not the other way round, so basically the moon instigates the gravitational pull??

Ye cannae change the laws of Physics captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

muffler wrote:
    Thats from throwing the cat out at night:D

Is that what you call it now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

i wonder do suicide rates increase in relation to a full moon??

land9 wrote:
    i wonder do suicide rates increase in relation to a full moon??
    Because its such a delicate and emotional issue I dont think that any stats would be available for obvious reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I believe we are all influenced by a Full Moon, but as I have not read through this thread, I would still like to state that I am more often affected by a Full Glass :) .

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    I believe we are all influenced by a Full Moon, but as I have not read through this thread, I would still like to state that I am more often affected by a Full Glass :) .

P. :cool:
    Its usually the empty glass that gets the better of me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I know four lads who commited suicide and the night I went to their wakes,there was always a full moon or nearly full.

I do not know how old you are, but IMHO this is a very serious issue. I have been very concerned for many years about our high suicide rates in the Finn Valley area, particularly amongst young male's ?...

It might be an idea to have a new thread, dedicated to those who may be contemplating suicide in our Region, as there is a lot of help available and if such a thread stopped one suicide, then it would prove invaluable.

Please consider a ' Suicide is not the answer ' thread ?.. I for one would certainly support this type of thread.

As AFAIK we have the highest suicide rate in Ireland, and maybe we just might begin to be of help, and get some answers relating to this terrible social tragedy.

Finally, I honestly feel that this forum is blessed with members who could offer genuine confidential help to anyone sufferingi real despair ?.. and if needed the Private mesage,(PM) facility could be used ..

Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭michaela

i knew a women who had a dog that started having fits. so the vet made her keep a diary of the fits, and she noticed that when whenever their was a full moon the fits would start a couple of days before and stop when the full moon was over, and for the rest of the time the dog was fine.

Advertisement