Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workin in Canada?? It is impossible right??

Options
  • 13-10-2005 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have been lookin allover the web for info on how I can go to Canada for the summer to work and see my girlfriend before headin back to college in autumn.
    The usit site is kinda ropey, all the Canadian sites dont deal with students goin over on workin holidays... I'm goin up the walls. :eek:
    If anyone has any info on how to do this please please post somethin here for me. Anythin at all is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 slocanny

Nothing impossible, crazyman :)

So if any of this helps...
    the usit site isn't up to too much but do regsister your interest in their 2006 programme at
    http://canada.usit.ie/

Not sure if this is still how it works, but a couple of years back they used to give out visas on a first-come first-served basis twice a year. These were 1-year-long open visas, they had a student version and a non-student one, though both fall under something they call SWAPing or student-work-abroad-programme.

These visas being non-renewable would only be a drawback should you decide college isn't worth coming back fromCanadia for I suppose... you could work anywhere at anything - except maybe medicine or childcare and tobacco-ffarming too I think for some reason..

Anyway they used to do two rounds, they'd give hand them out in autumn (about now) for the following year (jan-dec) mainly aimed at people heading working the snowboard/wintersports resorts for the winter I guess - and they'd do another round for the summer. They seem to have opened application for this year back in January 2005 only though.

But sure drop into USIT on Ormond Quay or sign up at the link above to find out what the story is... If it's summer 2006 you're planning on going there's time aplently to get your name down when they do have details, but do get in there early. But certainly student working visas are perfectly possible, I did it and so did lots of friends... Amazing country, definitely workthwhile experience. Is your girlf canadian or just based over there?

Oh by the way when I say they hand out these work-abroad visas they do hit you with a fee for them - nothing major as visas go I don't think - couple hundred euros at most...

See http://www.swap.ca as well maybe...

and get on down from up those walls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crazyman01

cheers slocanny, that was the usit site I was after. 'preciate the post m8 :D

Advertisement