Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core Console package vs Enhanced package

Options
  • 12-10-2005 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Here's the deal, I've pre ordered an Xbox 360 (like the rest of you I'm sure :rolleyes: ) and am stuck as to what edition to buy of the Xbox.

I'm not interested in putting music/videos etc. on the Xbox (I didn't with my original Xbox) and see the HDD as a waste of time as to what I want to do with the thing, play games and nothing else!, then again to save games I'd need to buy a memory card instead which is going to be big money (i.e. a core console package + memory card would probably work out the same price as the enhanced package that has the HDD/Headset etc.)

I don't know what to do, I think the HDD is a waste of time but I don't want to waste my time buying the core conole (at albeit a cheaper price initially) if I have to end up shelling out for a memory card, what do you reckon I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its not a whole lot more for the enhanced package. Would be worth it in the end. At a later stage you would probably end up buying some of the extras anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, its a no-brainer, go for the bigger pack, the stuff that you will use immediately like the hd and the wireless controller more than cover the extra cost and then you get the other things like the headset and highdef doohickeys too that you will use eventually, then there are the demos and things on the hd too, also the backward compatibility only with the harddrive. Also if you but the core pack you will need a memory card, another €40 or so, might as well pay the extra €60 and save time, money and bother later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Laguna wrote:
    I'm not interested in putting music/videos etc. on the Xbox (I didn't with my original Xbox) and see the HDD as a waste of time as to what I want to do with the thing, play games and nothing else!, then again to save games I'd need to buy a memory card instead which is going to be big money (i.e. a core console package + memory card would probably work out the same price as the enhanced package that has the HDD/Headset etc.
    Just like the xbox1 the HD is not just for storing savegames, it allows certain games to store stuff like videos and even large maps for games temporarily on it for quicker access (look at how long it takes halo2 to load a map for the first time, that's becasue it is copying the map to the HD for faster access but xbox360 games are going to have even bigger maps and textures). A lot of developers were complaing about the restrictions on the HD-less one so I'd steer clear of the basic package and get the HD cheaper as you'll probably want to get it eventually anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I had the same dilemma but the choice is obvious. Who wants wired ahead of wireless? For the extra 100 euro its well worth it for all the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did you not have to tell them which one you wanted when you preordered? How will they know how many of each one to get in stock?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some games have to have the hard drive to be played and probably quite a lot of online games. Go for the enhnaced package to make sure you don't rule yourself out from playing any games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Personally I see this as a marketing gimic by ms. I wouldn't even consider the core package, id go for the full whack. Why anyone would want the core is purely price based as the extras far exceed the 100 increase for the full system.

As someone once said to me, either go all the way or dont bother going at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The point about what will be in stock is an important one, if you have your heart set on one it will be the case that after launch there will be a total sell out, the only packs that may be left on the shelves will be core packs, make sure your preorder is explicit in the requirement for the larger pack, otherwise you could get screwed.

Advertisement