Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulitlinking on Win98

Options
  • 15-11-1999 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I was bored on Sunday afternoon and remembered reading an article in some computer magazine a while back about being able to multi link to modems together in Win98 so I dusted off my sportster, hooked it up to the other line and gave it a try.

It didn't work, but i did get the second modem dialing each time, a few points to note.

1. one modem is a pace56 (v.90) the other is a US Robotics sportster 33.6. From what I can recollect you dont need two modems that are the same but it is better.

2. do both of these modems have to connect at the same speed ?

3. do both modems have to connect to the same isp ?

4. does your isp have to support multilinking and if so is it available here in Ireland ?

Another point with this multilinking business is that when you add an additional modem to a dial up and you specify the number that it rings, how the hell does it know your user name and passwrd for that service ? Is it a case of setting up two dial up's one for each modem and then specifying one within the other with the multilink option ? As I have a number of different dial ups on win98.

Any help would be appreciated as it would be nice to be able to do this and see what effect it would have.

Tin(got something to think about again)Cool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

According to dark ones (M$):
    If the first modem connects successfully but the second modem fails to connect, multilink is probably not supported by the ISP.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/InProductHelp98/rna_multilink.asp

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

read the help files smile.gif

and yes the isp does have to support it, so i presume you have to use the same one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yea I got it going last night using indigo and oh my god what a load of bollock$. If anything my ping was higher on Q2 and d/l's weren't effect much. So thinkin of getting isdn, gonna ring telecom today and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Lol, just got this reply from Indigo helpdesk after me getting the multilink going last night. What a world we live in:

action: close
    Upd: Hi,
    :
    : At this time Indigo does not support the above.
    :
    : Regards,
    : Indigo Helpdesk.
    OpUsername: kennedyk
    OpReplyTo:
    HelpFormSubject: [HELP-991115-014] Help Page Report

Advertisement