Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a iBook!

Options
  • 12-10-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Eur 1,059.00
    (Eur 875.21 ex VAT)

Ready to ship: 24hrs

Free Shipping

1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache (at 1.33GHz)
    512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
    32MB DDR video memory
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

Whats the thoughts on this beauty?

I'm saving up some money for this. Hoping to get it around christmas time. Was talkin to a sales rep through Apple about the powerbook but my friend said to get this baby. Well if you have any advice please write up.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Save up for the PowerBook if you can. I *love* my iBook to pieces, but it's thrown a problem after 4 months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Save up for the PowerBook if you can. I *love* my iBook to pieces, but it's thrown a problem after 4 months. :(
    Please elaborate about this problem rainbow. I am thinking of asking Santa for the same thing as red bairn, I'd like to know as much as possible about potential pitfalls and as it would be my first time trying Mac I wouldn't want to invest in a lemon.

Read here
    The thing is, apart from this problem, my iBook has been the best computer I've ever owned. It's a perfect size for me, it's light, it's powerful enough for what I need and OS X is sooooo nice to use. The problem's covered under warranty anyway, and I'm probably gonna have Mactivate in Blanchardstown taking it to fix it on Monday.
    *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Ok thanks for the info rainbow, always good to know these things before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

duridian are you getting it through your college (by education price) or wat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Wannes acer

Lol , dont buyan apple notebook ,you pay waaaay to much for whats on it
    u can get much better notebooks for tha kinda money !!
    U can get at least 15.4" tft screen , or even 17" , with 80gb , and 1024mb Ram
    !!! Dont do it ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hoping to get it around christmas time.-as i said before.
    I'd say the other chap will want to sell his ASAP so i dont know. I have the money now. But may jst wait a bit. May drop in price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

once you've used a mac you'll wonder what the deal was with windows.

well for graphics/video/sound editing anyway.

red_bairn wrote:
    Hoping to get it around christmas time.-as i said before.
    I'd say the other chap will want to sell his ASAP so i dont know. I have the money now. But may jst wait a bit. May drop in price anyway.

PowerBooks are being updated next week bu the iBook price won't really change between now and the new year. I'd buy his one.

I use a PowerMac G5 in work out of choice (i could work on any OS) and find it great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

...and I have to say: 'tis a lil' beaut! :D

Of course, it isn't without its criticisms: it gets quite hot on the left side of the trackpad, and the trackpad itself can be iffy at times (but I think that true of all laptops) -- best buy yourself a (wireless/Bluetooth) mouse for it!
    Oh, but the 5hr battery & built-in wireless are a boon! Well worth it.

And that's to say nothing of OS X... hasn't crashed once! :cool:

*edit*
    Lastly, it weighs f**k all, and will fit in most rucksacks (though I'd advise a carry case/pouch of some kind)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Im thinking of getting the same, im a bit scred though ive never used a mac before and ill only be using the comp for basic things, no games or editing, is it woth the money?

Hell yeah. OS X is fantastic, and it's just a very nice little laptop :)

Hunter S wrote:
    Im thinking of getting the same, im a bit scred though ive never used a mac before and ill only be using the comp for basic things, no games or editing, is it woth the money?

MS Office on a mac is well made, looks alot nicer then the windows version. OS X is very friendly to use. If you have any techie skills at all the basics are a walk in the park.

Hey REW a Powerbook is much more than a iBook and i feel that the iBook is good enough.
    best buy yourself a (wireless/Bluetooth) mouse for it!
    Oh, but the 5hr battery & built-in wireless are a boon! Well worth it.

And that's to say nothing of OS X... hasn't crashed once!

Thats good to knowK.O.Kiki. Thx.

red_bairn wrote:
    Hey REW a Powerbook is much more than a iBook and i feel that the iBook is good enough.

Wasn't suggesting that you go PowerBook just that the iBook price wont change and that the 2nd hand one going now is a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hey folks,

sorry to bump this, but I ordered my iBook last night :) It's just a basic model with no modifications or added on memory, etc. I checked up the order today and it said that the estimated shipping date is...TODAY! :D

I was just wondering if any of ye know from experience how long it'll take to get here... The anticipation is killing me! :D (I only ordered it 15 hours ago -_-)

Is there an Apple distributor in Ireland, or will it be sent from the UK?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

It'll probably come from Apple's European headquarters in Cork, so 48 hours might be possible... I got mine within 4 or 5 days last Summer but I ordered on Thursday or Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

if your in dublin id expect you to have it tomorrow or thursday at the latest it TNT are still doing the Apple deliveries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I'm waiting over a month for my Macbook :(

• Advertisement

Jayzus, and there's me checkin the status thing every minute! :eek:

This is what it says on the page, anywho...
     Activity	        Location	          Date / Time (GMT)
     Out For Delivery	 NUNEATON, WW, GB	 28 Feb 2006 19:35

How long does it take to get from England to Dublin, ffs? :( It should at least be in Ireland at this stage, no? They rang yesterday (about an issue with the credit card, no biggy) and gave a freephone number to ring about the status of the order -- if I rang that would they just tell me the same thing as the internet, or would they be more up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Ha, I got my iBook there in January. It's sent from England with UPS and it took 2 days.

I also thought there was a problem when it stayed in a warehouse over there overnight without moving, but hey, standard UPS shipping is standard, and they'll make you wait the 2 days.

yeah i got it, it was delivered yesterday but nobody was in so my dad picked it up in finglas today :)

Thanks folks!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

sinecurea wrote:
    I'm waiting over a month for my Macbook :(
    I haven't had the nads to order it without first waiting until it actually comes out ( :p ) and then see if there's any weirdness with it.

Two and a half grand is a lot of dosh to fork out for something unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my first ever laptop was an apple powerbook 100
    http://www.granneman.com/images/powerbook_100.gif

so im going to go back as windows is good, but my roots was with apple, so im going to see whats on offer, any tips lads?

If you can afford it, MacBook Pro :)

Depends of course what you want it for of course... don't knock a fully loaded iBook.

Advertisement