Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book 11 of the wheel of time

Options
  • 12-10-2005 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

didnt bother buying it on its release yesterday, simply because ive forgotten what goes on in books 7-10!

isd apprently getting good reviews, several plot lines wrapped up and a lack of clothing and hair descriptions.

ok, i lie about the descriptions, im sure half the book is descriptions!

will purchase over the next few days now that i have finished Thud! and see if i can immerse myself back into the world of WOT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

I presume it's the hard back release?, think I may wait for the paperback as after the last few books (lot of filler, very little substance imo), not really all that pushed to fork out the extras, more of a quest now to complete something I started 15 years ago!!! :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Oh God I really have to finish the bloody series but I think I'll wait until the hardback is being trown away for recyling to pick it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Good god, is he still flogging that corpse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Read it, it'll give you a suprise. Very enjoyable it was. loads of stories finally wrapped up, and lots happens. It was great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    Read it, it'll give you a suprise. Very enjoyable it was. loads of stories finally wrapped up, and lots happens. It was great.

well that's a surprise, my housemate has it, i would like to punch Jordan (robert) right in the face.

That series went to **** after book 5 i think, after path of daggers (the most pointless book i have ever read) i stopped and i can't really see how i would ever bother to go backand read it again.

Give me Feist anyday, Book 1 of his new series The Dark War,
    was out last week, Rumour has it this is his last series and he's gonna go all strange in it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

Hmm... yeah, it did go downhill around book five or six, but the series really hit rock bottom with book ten. An eight hundred page book in which absolutely nothing happens? It's an achievement, I'll give him that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Well in fairness
    Egwene does get captured in the last few pages (Book 10 that is)
    :D

I guess I've always viewed it as being like a well played game of chess...you have to get all the pieces in place before the excitement starts! I've ordered Book 11 and it should have been delivered by now (f*cking An Post!) but I am looking forward to it and Jordan himself said he's tied off a fair few threads in this book so hopefully it'll be good...

The next one should be the last one...........YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

what is up with robert 'milk 'em cowboy' jordan? he goes on & on & on & on about nothing...

i mean rand spent the whole last book in bed, and mat was still leaving ebou dar or however its spelled, perrin was still thinking about saving his wife, jesus!...

i stopped reading the last book after a few chapters cos it was so bad and the my bro told me it was like that for the whole of it... at least, apparently, something happens in this new book, but the last battle doesnt even start yet which is sh*t cos that means he's going to rush it in the next one after having spent 3 books on nothing...

How do you do those spoiler things btw?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

To add spoilers you use [.spoiler]thing you want hidden[/spoiler.]

just take out the .

• Advertisement

Just finished the book this morning, Jordan's back on form. The story progresses nicely, lots of excitement and whatnot, some of the characters are developed a little more, and even *gasp* some shocking twists! All in all, very enjoyable stuff.

Just finished the book this morning, Jordan's back on form. The story progresses nicely, lots of excitement and whatnot, some of the characters are developed a little more, and even *gasp* some shocking twists! All in all, very enjoyable stuff.

#so he's back on form after 5 ****e pointless books and probably over $100m dollars richer!

He needed to get back on form if he really meant to finish the story in the next book. Unless he was planning on ending it: "I woke up on top of huge piles of your money readers, and I realised it was all a dream......."

The End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

im about half way through it as we speak, and its surelay alot better than the last few offerings. loved the (mad spoiler trust me dont read you will regret it)
    whole moiraine thing
    . alot of focus on
    mat
    so far which is good, at least jordan picked a good character. he's also become a bit more.....well.....lewd -
    "morgase was the best ride i ever had"...lewd affairs among the forsaken (>_< Aran'gar)
    . anyway overall its hopping along nicely i hope he sets up a nice ending for the last book

When's the series set to finish? I heard book 14 would be the last one, but there's rumors floating around that the next one might end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

lordgoat wrote:
    That series went to **** after book 5 i think, after path of daggers (the most pointless book i have ever read) i stopped and i can't really see how i would ever bother to go backand read it again.

i feel the same. not even sure what book i stopped reading it on. it was 7 or 8 but could have been 6.....i wouldnt mind the number of book if they were actually half decent, in fact i'd be delighted. but no, they started great but turned to poo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I used to farking Love this series. My mam is buying book 11 online, I don't think I'll even read it. Could only get 100 pages into book 10, and it took me five or six months.

The wheel of time is dead to me.

Scruff wrote:
    lordgoat wrote:

i feel the same. not even sure what book i stopped reading it on. it was 7 or 8 but could have been 6.....i wouldnt mind the number of book if they were actually half decent, in fact i'd be delighted. but no, they started great but turned to poo.

exaclty, if the books were good i wouldn't have minded, as for those who say the next book is the last, there's at least two more books, which probaly means 4. To think this was originally ment to be 5 books!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Its so much better than 10. I originally read 1-10 in pretty much one weeklong sitting and 10 just felt like the plot was running on the spot for a few hundred pages with no real progression. This on the other hand wraps up a few arcs, and sets the stage nicely for the final(?) book. Well if I remember correctly there was always 12 books planned. Hopefully he just ran out of plot material leaving the middle books somewhat sparse, and saving it all up for the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Dar - is the paperback out yet? I really couldn't justify spending 30euro on the hardcover when I've already spend 10 books worth on this series. Btw, tell Lorcan that Quake4 is out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I tried to gouge my eyes out after three chapters and re-read Dune instead (descriptions = bleh). Would anyone like to PM me the major spoilers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I gave up after a couple of chapters of 10. I just didn't have the heart anymore. Eight and nine were simply terrible terrible books, seven was bad and six was pretty poor comparitively speaking. Ten though, ten was simply unreadable and I've been reading a lot of science fiction and fantasy since I was 12 or so. To say I've ploughed through some unmitigated **** would be an understatement. Book 10 was a bridge to far for me.

As Mordeth said the Wheel of Time is dead to me now. :(

I'll get someone to tell me cliff notes when it's all finished. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Illkillya wrote:
    Dar - is the paperback out yet? I really couldn't justify spending 30euro on the hardcover when I've already spend 10 books worth on this series. Btw, tell Lorcan that Quake4 is out :)

Join the library ya big fool - thats where I got it :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mam left book eleven sitting on the counter in the kitchen, it's just staring at me whenever I walk in

Maybe I'll just leaf through it later...

Advertisement