Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Fired central Heating & installing gas question

Options
  • 12-10-2005 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just bought a second hand house which has Oil Fired Central Heating. Its a two bed about 900 sqft. Does anyone know how much (rough estimates in your experience will do!) it cost to fill an oil tank and how long this would last? And as its my first home can anyone advise how often I should put the heat on and for how long at a time? It might sound stupid but Im a complete novice really, allways had electric or bills included when I rented. I would like the house warm in the mornings and in the evenings. Will have tennants also, so I cant really scrooge!

Also, how much would it cost to get Gas fitted, the area is serviced by gas lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dunno about now, but €400 of oil used to do for 9 months of the year (4 bedroom house). Now, tho, it'll be alot more, due to the price rises.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that to get gas installed, etc, it costs about €1000 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Cheers! Gas sounds quite reasonable, is it cheap to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How [strike]long is a string[/strike] big is the tank? :D

I'm not sure, I dont take possesion till next week, but lets say its a 500 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

An average fill is 1000 litre
    From Emo oil delivering to dublin
    The below is for kerosene

The results of your price check are:
    Product: Kero
    Quantity: 1000
    Cent Per Litre inc VAT @ 13.50% : 0.64
    Price (€) Inc VAT: 635.60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Gas went up by 25% on the 1st of October though, so bills will probably be a lot higher this month!

We pay a set sum a month & then when they read our meter they reassess the cost - it was €60 a month for a while, then went down to €45 & most recently they only took €28 (we're in credit for a fair bit)..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

joejoem wrote:
    Also, how much would it cost to get Gas fitted, the area is serviced by gas lines.

A few thousand, you'd need a new boiler, plus fitting.

If the OFCH is in good condition there's very little reason to switch, wait till it looks like you need to spend money on the oil system before switching

Cheers,
    Just found out the house is Dual Oil & Gas Fired central heating so it should be too bad for me to get changed if needs be. Although the oil sounds very reasonable. Would 1000 litres last through the winter?

I know thats a very vague question, but lets say for a two bed, circa 900 sq ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

joejoem wrote:
    Cheers,
    Just found out the house is Dual Oil & Gas Fired central heating so it should be too bad for me to get changed if needs be. Although the oil sounds very reasonable. Would 1000 litres last through the winter?

I know thats a very vague question, but lets say for a two bed, circa 900 sq ft?

I'd imagine it would as long as it's not on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd imagine it would as long as it's not on all day.
    Aye. Once its only on for a few hours each day (ie: only when your there), then it will. Should ast about 9 months at least.

***WARNING***

Check for leaks. One house I lived in we went through €400 of oil in a month, and barely had the thing on at all. I'd say there is enough oil under that house (the oil pipes were underground, from the oil tank to the oil burner) to give GB a reason to invade Eire @ this stage :D

So if you get the oil in, check it every so often, and check the pipes. If the pipes are below ground, consider getting one above ground, as like any other pipes, they break (esp after a freeze). In my parents house, the oil pipe had a few teething problens, and they had to replace a section of it, as it was leaking.

Also, see if you can contact the last owner to ask about that. Since you've bought the house, they're more likely to tell the truth.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    Aye. Once its only on for a few hours each day (ie: only when your there), then it will. Should ast about 9 months at least.

***WARNING***

Check for leaks. One house I lived in we went through €400 of oil in a month, and barely had the thing on at all. I'd say there is enough oil under that house (the oil pipes were underground, from the oil tank to the oil burner) to give GB a reason to invade Eire @ this stage :D

So if you get the oil in, check it every so often, and check the pipes. If the pipes are below ground, consider getting one above ground, as like any other pipes, they break (esp after a freeze). In my parents house, the oil pipe had a few teething problens, and they had to replace a section of it, as it was leaking.

Also, see if you can contact the last owner to ask about that. Since you've bought the house, they're more likely to tell the truth.

Thanks, great help.

Advertisement