Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help meeeeeeeeee!

Options
  • 01-11-1999 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just got in a second line and for some strange reason when I connect the modem to the line it goes dead.I don't even have to dail-up the tone disappears once I complete the connection between the modem and the socket. It is working perfect on the original line so I don't think there is a problem with my computer. I'm getting the run around with EsatClear blaming Eircom and Eircom blaming EsatClear. Anyone come across this problem before? somebody have any idea before I go insane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ok, here we go...
    [1]. Try using another phone cable....
    [2]. Check your modem and wall sockets, make sure the connectors in the sockets aren't bent.
    [3]. Try plugging a regular phone into the wall socket you usualy use for the modem...
    [4]. Try plugging your modem into the other wall socket.
    [5]. Try reseating your modem.
    [6]. Bug the $hit out of Eircom, until they come out and inspect your phone line.
    [7]. Try using someone elses modem in your machine.
    [8]. Call IBM Tech-Support and give them a hard time. tongue.gif

Hope this helped.
    Best regards, your Dead Santa.

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

Thanx Santa, I'm trying 6 at the moment.I do appreciate the help but did all others yesterday except trying another modem (can't get one).The techie who was in this morning seems to think that some of the services(call waiting, call answering) are screwing up the modem.Its a supra express 56i v pro by the way.

Thanking you again,
    Coyler

Here something interesting.The new socket that eircom are using is not compatiblewith my modem.When I changed the sockets to that small beige one's it works fine on my new line.So armed with this information and using the prosess of elimination between old and new socket and first and second line came to the above conclusion.
    I am so smart,I am so smart, smrt I mean smart.
    Thanks again Santa thought you might find this interesting.

Wow, so eircoms' new sockets are causing $hit?
    Hmm, are they going to replace it with an older one?
    If you're waiting on them, just tell them you are running a business from your office at home and that your customers are getting seriously PI$$ED off! smile.gif
    Oh, while you still have that new socket, try using a phone-splitter-adapter (thingy), to see if that helps....(just to satisfy my curiosity!)

PS. You'd think I'd have a pain in my @rse with all this, working in tech support all day (11 hours), but you'd be surprised how addictive it is! (or would you?)

I've tried the phone splitter thingy(I love technical terms)and no go. I've replaced it myself in the interm with old sockets and its working fine on both line's.
    Dont the new sockets have some sort of filter or condenser fitted to them.Maybe thats the problem?
    I'm actually curiuos to now if its just a fault with my modem or are there people out there who have tried to set-up a connection and gave up because nothing was happening?
    I wonder if eircom would like to make that enquiry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

which reminds me, im obviously sitting at your puter this month coz when i look at bookmarks theres good ol ign boards!

get all that from infotiips did ya?
    why wont lotus install from a x40 cd-rom, thats just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can answer that question, I think.

Go to CD-ROM drive settings (My computer file system) and switch off all caching and set no read ahead for the CD ROM. That should do it.

What are you trying to install anyway?

call taken by Dead{o}Santa 05/11/99.

Q: ROFL smile.gif
    I never bookmarked IGN!!
    (might be in the history though...)
    Maybe their are more IBM'er/Quakers out there...

A: Lotus Smartsuite installs fine from a CDRW BTW smile.gif
    ...LENA BLOWS CHUNKS OF $HIT...

S: (CON_6, in case you were wondering)

case closed by Dead{o}Santa 05/11/99.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i wasnt trying to install it
    lotus millenium has a wee bug in it that wont allow you to install it using a x40 cdrom drive

you have to change the ide channel master from single to dual to get it to load
    strange but true...

closing due to inactivity
    con_11

...But when that doesn't work, LPS reccomend that you replace the CD...
    ...a complete fobb-off, but that's the most fun part of the job, telling a caller to run some pointless diagnostic test and to call back with the results!...

(whoooaaa! feel the power!... I demand that you reformat your hard drive, but you have to pay $35 before I'll tell you how it's done) smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lou Gersner (edited 06-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 06-11-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Interestingly (or not) on the original point. I had pretty much the same prob with my Motorola Voicesurfer (rockwell chipset, same as the supra I think) and I have had to put it through this malarky:

[adapter]
    [adapter]
    ----rj11 to English to English to rj11

Kinky isn't it wink.gif (rj11 is the Irish/american socket type)

And I've had to do it in three different houses.
    I presume it's something to with line crossovers or the fact that it's an american modem or something.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

Advertisement