Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want to write a book

Options
  • 11-10-2005 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

ive never write one be4 and i am wondering about it

it could be about my personal experiances and my friends personl experiances all put into it and like a diary but not mine inparticular

i am dylexic and i am terrible at full stops and stuff i was wondering if thats going to be a big problem!!

can soemone like me write a book and got get slated for not being educated enough by people who read it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Laurs wrote:
    ive never write one be4 and i am wondering about it

it could be about my personal experiances and my friends personl experiances all put into it and like a diary but not mine inparticular

i am dylexic and i am terrible at full stops and stuff i was wondering if thats going to be a big problem!!

can soemone like me write a book and got get slated for not being educated enough by people who read it!!

It really just depends. I believe that anyone can accomplish anything if they want it bad enough. For you to write a book being dyslexic, is going to be much harder than it would for the average joe. Your finished product has to be the same as anyone elses in terms of grammer and spelling because publishing houses wont give a toss that you are dyslexic. So its going to be an uphill battle for you if you actually write it yourself.

Also you absolutely have to read to be able to write well. There's no way around that and for some dyslexic people that's not a problem (I have a friend who reads more books and content websites than I do and he's dyslexic), but for some as I understand it, it's a huge problem. Do you read any/many books?

If you do (and magazines dont count) and its only the writing aspects of dyslexia that give you problems you could always look into dictating the book and getting a typing service to type it for you....

My two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Give it your best try and get a friend to proofread it, and help oyu out, maybe even a friendly English teacher. They can also help you with content and ideas, not just grammar and stuff. And if people refuse to make the effort to read an original piece, it's their loss, I think that all writing is good writing, it just appeals to different people.
    Give it your best shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laurs

i have been writting diarys for years but i suppose that is alot differant as i can understand my own writting and stuff

i never got much help with it at school and college they just thought i never listened!!

but i used to get my mum to read my work she only noticed i never used punutation when i started college they tired teaching me but i didn't understand any of it.

ive kinda written a very small story before but i didn't ave any personal experiacnes when i was at school i wana write a book like briget jones kinda format but totally differant of course!!

thanx im gunna get started on my plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jax frost

If you go to your local bookshop, there are plenty of books you can buy to steer you in the right direction. Go to Amazon.co.uk and have a look online -there's lots of stuff there.

If you really want this, read and read some more. Then write and write some more. Then get a good copy editor to fix the punctuation and grammar.

Good luck!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well the grammar and punctuation aren't really important when you're writing it... It's the story, dialogue, etc., that's important, so once you have a good story, you can just go through it all with a friend or someone, and explain anything to them if they can't make sense of it.

So yeah, of course you can write a book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PrettyKitty

You go for it. Why not write a diary of a dyslexic or use this as a start for your writing?

I know plenty of people who are dyslexic and successful. Don't let people put you off by saying publishing houses won't even read it - why not call up a publishing house and ask them? What's the worst they can say? And at least you'll have an answer!

My best mate is a writer and journalist and has been published many times because she writes about what she knows. She constantly carries a notebook around with her and is always scribbling. She said to me 'just write' - it's easier to edit something than add to it.

Good luck - and on a final note - why not start writing by setting up a blog and take it from there?? Just a thought!!! :D

Advertisement