Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the chance to voice your experience

Options
  • 11-10-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

people,

i need your wisdom and expertise.

i have all the guts of a pc on the way...

i am hoping to create a fairly good gaming pc and home video stuff.

it will be sata based, 7800gtx gfx,680w psu, and 4 fans

i have all the main components here/arriving BUT

here is my questions

when you order the usual standard items, WHAT IN YOUR EXPERIENCE is always missing. I am thinking primarly cables here, for example, do i need an extra sata cable (just an example, maybe they dont arrive with the drive) or should i have extra cables for the fans (basically anything you can think of so i can do a stocktake before i start).

so, when u build what is the one thing you always forget that you SHOULD have ordered...

i just want to make sure that i dont start the build only to find i am flumoxxed before i start because i dont have such and such a cable.

I am trying to avoid having to wind up in some crappy shop looking for some cables they wont have in till 2009...

(resist the tempation to tell me more memory, gfx etc)

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

What Motherboard are you buying?
    I built a machine on an asus an8 sli board, and it came with every cable needed and then some.

Only cable i was missing was the little sound one from the dvd drive to soundcard/or motherboard, but im not losing too much sleep over that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thermal paste! :rolleyes: if you dont want to use the HSF pre-applied stuff..that is.

You should get all the sata and ide cables you need with the motherboard...

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

dundhoone, dude sorry i thought it was the exact one but its the Abit one it is a dual core jobby for intel (did u have any memory issues as i read just last night some people have...) THANKS for the reply!

Combatcow..thanks fecken thermal paste...good one...looking for that in the middle of the bof is never a good idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Na no memory problems got 2x 512mb ocz rev2 platniums on it doing just fine

Just google for a review of your MB or check the spec , i'd doubt ABIT would give you a motherboard without all the necessary cables.

Really all you need is your sata cable , Dvd drive and floppy cable if you have one, everything else comes attached to the power supply!

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure your case comes with fans included or if not that you've ordered some!

Dundhoone wrote:
    Na no memory problems got 2x 512mb ocz rev2 platniums on it doing just fine

Just google for a review of your MB or check the spec , i'd doubt ABIT would give you a motherboard without all the necessary cables.

Really all you need is your sata cable , Dvd drive and floppy cable if you have one, everything else comes attached to the power supply!

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure your case comes with fans included or if not that you've ordered some!

thanks for all the help dudes...really appreciate it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you want to overclock, some Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Ceramique. Makes a nice difference to temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It's a Thermaltake PSU isn't it? You'd be better off returning that and getting a decent 520W/600W unit. It's not very reliable - voltage and amperage -wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

My second computer that I built didnt have a case when my parts arrived.
    It was about 1997, and I couldnt fit the mobo into one of the old 386 cases that we had lying around.
    So for the first 6 months of its life, I used it caseless.
    Just had all the components sitting on a shelf, running away smoothly.
    Then my case finally arrived, and my computer was complete.
    *I still use that computer as a fileserver/linux box.

WizZard wrote:
    It's a Thermaltake PSU isn't it? You'd be better off returning that and getting a decent 520W/600W unit. It's not very reliable - voltage and amperage -wise.

it is as it happens...well unfortunately i am stuck with it...so iw iwll have to make do i am afraid..i will see how it holds up and if it is causing issues...i will change the bugger for something else..

If you want to overclock, some Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Ceramique. Makes a nice difference to temperatures.

thanks demon, any suggestions on how best to apply or anything i should do before i apply it. other then just smearing it on as level as i can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

thanks demon, any suggestions on how best to apply or anything i should do before i apply it. other then just smearing it on as level as i can?
    pea sized smeared eavenly.. whole surface covered

Advertisement