Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win95 Registry Problem (me thinks)

Options
  • 08-11-1999 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

can't install any new applications, get "out of space" errors, yet theres 645M free on the hard drive. the installs all fail when they reach 100%, at this point they may well be registering components ... dunno, just guessing. its Win95a, how or what can i use to check the registry, is there a size limit on it etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ok, well if you have that much space left and are still getting "out of space" errors...

[1]. Check the number of files in your root directory (C:\), if its into the hundreds, then nuke them down to about 20... You don't need any files in your root directory apart from the files that would normaly appear on a boot disk...(eg. IO.SYS...)

[2]. Dunno if their is a max size limit for the registry, but if you run "regedit.exe", you can delete any registry keys that you dont use (like entries for programs you no longer have)

[3]. If your hard drive is compressed....
    the amount of free space reported by windows may be incorrect. In this case, run drvspace.exe to check your compression settings.

[4]. Try uninstaling some programs that you don't use, see if that will solve your instalation problem.

[5]. Format your drive and re-install Windows.

Good luck man! smile.gif

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    www.gibworld.com/grotto

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, if its fat16 then you are only allowed something like 512 files in your root directory.
    cant think of anything else that would give you that error unless you are actually out of disk space smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

by the way dead-o, who are you?
    reveal yourself ya man*** mutt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

thanks lads, forgot about that file limit, it might well be whats causing it. bleeding eeejits might well have dumped tons of stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i got the same errors when i installed ie5.
    with 500 megs free like..
    uninstalled that and everything is grand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WWMan is proberly correct (I thought they dumped that problem years ago?)

Try also defragging your harddrive and running diskcheck (not in that order).

Another thing that could be happening is that it writing to a dynamic swap file and overrunning, causing it to run out of space. I've seen this happen but normally only if the disk space drops below 100MB.

Advertisement