Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine Restriction - How much does it cost?

Options
  • 10-10-2005 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

It appears I need to get my 750 restricted.

I am a bit confused about this restriction thing. Two motorcycle shops quoted me 350Euro but another quoted me 120Euro?
    Does this ring any bells? Has anybody got any experience with this stuff? Why the difference?
    The expensive ones seem to send documentation to England?

Appreciate any advice. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've read posts on here where peeps were saying it's around €300..where did you get the quote for €120??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kang

I guess you got this bike from japan?Most of their own bikes have those restrictions.i saw someone doing this before.something about the computer or electrocircuit works. they pulled out some lines from a board,soldered them into the new places again. just finished...

i dont know too much about these.but if you have the blueprint,maybe you can do it yourself. but its dangerous.could burn your bike's electrocircuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Kang wrote:
    I guess you got this bike from japan?Most of their own bikes have those restrictions.i saw someone doing this before.something about the computer or electrocircuit works. they pulled out some lines from a board,soldered them into the new places again. just finished...

i dont know too much about these.but if you have the blueprint,maybe you can do it yourself. but its dangerous.could burn your bike's electrocircuit.

I was under the impression that a shim was inserted into the fuel line to choke the fuel supply to the carbs therefore restricting their proformance.
    But if you think rewiring the "electrocircuit" !!! will do the same thing then fire away. See if your bike starts afterwards. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

B_Rubble wrote:
    It appears I need to get my 750 restricted.

I am a bit confused about this restriction thing. Two motorcycle shops quoted me 350Euro but another quoted me 120Euro?
    Does this ring any bells? Has anybody got any experience with this stuff? Why the difference?
    The expensive ones seem to send documentation to England?

Appreciate any advice. :confused:

The best advice that I would give you is that you should ask your insurance company what restriction would suit them. As far as I remember, you dont get anything anymore (or very little anyway) of a reduction because the washers that they put at the carb exit can be just as easily removed as they can be installed (thus de-restricting a "certified" restricted bike).

Most of the bikes that you buy "factory restricted" are generally engine management remapped so you can do what you want with the washers - they are electronically limited to whatever bhp. These bikes do qualify for reduced insurance (compared to their unrestricted cousins).

If (as is quite likely) the insurance company says that they will not recognise the restriction for insurance purposes, go for the cheapest option. Get whatever cert/paperwork that says it is restricted, go to your insurance company, do all that stuff, and when it is all "legal" you can (if you want) go back to the mechanic and have them remove the restriction (Note - I don't think that this is technically legal, but also don't know if it is illegal). As far as I know it is your word against whoever that the bike is restricted (unless they stick it on a Dyno).

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 B_Rubble

• My Bike is 1981 american import
    • The 120Euro place is in Santry
    • I have a provisional license for the first time in 10 years, which qualifies me as an irresponsible hooligan who is likely to burn around the roads at 3am and kill everything in sight!
    • Insurance company don't seem to care who does the restriction i.e.
      I asked: "Who should I use to restrict the bike?"
      They answered: "Ring the garages they'll know" (Not quite the impression I got from my phone-around!)
    • My understanding is that the process requires the insertion (presumably under very expensive general anaethetic) of a washer into the fuel inlet which strangles the fuel input to the carbs (never heard of no electrocircuit stuff before...sounds scary)
    • It seems that the cheap option makes most sense?

What a country!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

B_Rubble wrote:
    • My understanding is that the process requires the insertion (presumably under very expensive general anaethetic) of a washer into the fuel inlet which strangles the fuel input to the carbs (never heard of no electrocircuit stuff before...sounds scary)

From what I have heard and the two people that I know that have had their bikes "restricted" the process involved puting "washers" after the carb and before the cylinder. This results in the the airflow being restricted after it has mixed with the fuel and thus limiting the amount of air/fuel mix that actually goes into the actual cylinder. I think if the washers are placed before the carb it just results in a faster airflow over the fuel main jet and thus actually increases the power. (I think this is akin to the kart drivers putting their hands over the airintake as they go down the straights if anyone has ever noticed this on TV). I am of course open to correction in all of this.

The electronically restricted bikes are generally factory restricted and most likely you won't be able to do that to your bike even if you wanted to.

L.

Advertisement