Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence Question

Options
  • 10-10-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an oddball question. I hold a full B licence and a provisional A licence. I now want to apply for a provisional C licence.

On the application form, do I have to tick the box for 'A' as well as 'C' to ensure I get the provisional back with both categories on it? I assume this is how they do it, ie, they don't issue a different provisional for each category but just add the required category to your licence and return a single licence to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Why do you have to licences? you should on have your full as that covers the provo a if im not mistaken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No, you would have 2 licences in the above situation.

Murphaph you are quite correct tick both A and C or you could risk getting it back with no A on it.

I dont understand how.. i have a full b licence and i used to have a provo a and w but sent the provo of to get replaced with the full licence as it covers it..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers Mr. Bond!

blahblah, if you got a full A licence after only sitting a B test you got very lucky-cos the B test only covers driving categories B, W and M and nothing else.

I dont have a full A licence i had a provo A but got that replaced by the full b licence as the tax office said the full b covers the from a and a1 & w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blahblah06 wrote:
    I dont have a full A licence i had a provo A but got that replaced by the full b licence as the tax office said the full b covers the from a and a1 & w
    :eek:
    It doesn't. Whoever told you that is a moron.

murphaph, that raises quite. Since you *must* have a full B (or C1) licence to apply for a C provisional, I always assumed that prov C == full B. But since the full A licence has no bearing on your ability to get a prov. C licence, how does that work?
    If you have a provisional C licence with cats. A, B and C marked on it, what's to distinguish you from someone with Prov A + Prov C? Or would they have to give you two separate licences? Hypothetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

seamus wrote:
    :eek:
    It doesn't. Whoever told you that is a moron.
    Indeed. There are definitely some folk working in tax offices who don't know what's what.
    seamus wrote:
    murphaph, that raises quite. Since you *must* have a full B (or C1) licence to apply for a C provisional, I always assumed that prov C == full B.
    No, sure the provisional C would be worthless outside Ireland.
    seamus wrote:
    If you have a provisional C licence with cats. A, B and C marked on it, what's to distinguish you from someone with Prov A + Prov C? Or would they have to give you two separate licences? Hypothetical.
    You should never have a full B and a provisional B in your posession. They know what you have (they keep track of you with the driver/MTO number on the licence-you'll notice that any licence you have full or provisional will have the same driver number) and should never issue a provisional licence if you've already got a full licence in that category so you can't have a provisional with A, B and C on it!

Advertisement