Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lithuanian Murders in Ireland

Options
  • 10-10-2005 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

After another member of the Lithuanian community was murdered in Ireland it got me thinking to the unusally high numbers of Lithuanian nationals that have been murdered in Ireland recently, it seems that every week or so we hear of another one.

Is there any reason for this, is there a major anti-lithuanian sentiment amonst other groups in Ireland that make them a target or has Ireland been targetted by elements of the Lithuanian underworld? Is there any recent figures on the number of people from Lithuania currently residing here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The murder rate among Lithuanians living in Ireland is higher than the murder rate in Lithuania - something in the region of 3 murders per 10,000 population here versus 1/10,000 over there.

But it's been Lithuanians killing other Lithuanians.

An article in the Sunday Tribune three months ago looked into possible reasons why this happens among Lithuanians more than our other new communities. Common factors are: late night parties, women, knives and lots of vodka.

I'm being careful not to cast apersions, but for some Lithuanians in Ireland, these things produce a lethal cocktail. It's probably something to do with Lithuanian culture combined with stress connected with adjustment to life in Ireland, or possible criminality.

This is a serious concern, but so far, to my knowledge, an issue of this scake has remained restricted to the Lithuanian community, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're already building action networks to take care of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement