Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 horror movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Don't know how that made it into the top 20, nevermind the number one spot. I would of had halloween in my top 3 aswell.
    I think there was a big poll done in the states a year or so ago and the Exorcist was voted best horror of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally, I would'nt have put the Texas Chainsaw Massacre as number one, and I am actually rather suprised not to see The Exorcist there, but it's great to see that the absolutely phenominal, but over-looked masterpeice that is Don't Look Now get a place in the top ten. That's certainly rather gratifying, as is Suspiria getting such a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Strange to see the Exorcist didn't make it at all. Great film. I've seen them all but for Don't look Now. Chainsaw Massacre is a great film and deserving of being in the top 10 although maybe not the Number 1 spot. I do like the Wicker Man. Can watch that flick again and again.

Didn't think much of Suspiria myself. Cannibal Holocaust is a definite stomach churner. I'd recommend seeking out all the films on the list if you're a horror fan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

djkeogh wrote:
    I've seen them all but for Don't look Now.

You really are missing out there, it's nothing short of one of the best horror films there are.
    djkeogh wrote:
    I'd recommend seeking out all the films on the list if you're a horror fan though.

Or, if you're a horror fan, you've seen them all already. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Cannibal Holocaust is being shown in the IFI at this years Horrorthon. It's a masterpiece as far as i'm concerned, and worth watching if you can stomach it. Hopefully it will be uncut because the frankly terrifying imagery is essential to the point of the film.

I'm also surprised that The Exorcist isn't on the list.

I'm not surprised to see The Wicker Man, but I really am not a fan of that film. It wasn't terrible by any means, but I think the cult of the film far outweighs its actual worth.

Don't Look Now should be more widely known. Not only a fantastic horror film, but one of the finest films ever made. Roeg's first four films are essential viewing... (Performance, Walkabout, Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

Lodgepole wrote:
    Cannibal Holocaust is being shown in the IFI at this years Horrorthon. It's a masterpiece as far as i'm concerned, and worth watching if you can stomach it. Hopefully it will be uncut because the frankly terrifying imagery is essential to the point of the film.

Cannibal Holocaust was the nastiest film I've ever seen. I watched it recently without knowing anything about it. The slaughtering of animals was absolutely barbaric. I know it was done for the purpose of the movie and it's overall theme.

It was just something which I was shocked to see. I can imagine the hilarity at the screening in the IFI.

I'd even pay just to witness the audience's reaction.

John

Cannibal Holocaust was the nastiest film I've ever seen. I watched it recently without knowing anything about it. The slaughtering of animals was absolutely barbaric. I know it was done for the purpose of the movie and it's overall theme.

It was just something which I was shocked to see. I can imagine the hilarity at the screening in the IFI.

I'd even pay just to witness the audience's reaction.

John
    I watched it for the first time about a year and a half ago, as part of our own mini horrorthon (I was leaving the country for a year and missing the real one, so we did our own). Everytime I left to go to the bathroom i'd hear screaming from the TV room. I had heard it fairly bad but I thought it'd be fine given that we'd seen films we thought were as bad. I'm interested to see how many people walk out. Could be a first for the horrorthon.

You've got me interested in this Horrorthon at the IFI now.

Do you have any information about it?

John

disappointed not to see the Omen in there - if you ask me a vital element of a horror film is the music, and the omen is a fantastic chilling score, and the film if you let it will scare ya

after reading the book, i thought the shining was massively overrated in comparison, but was probably a blurred vision after seein it the day after the book was finished. the very first Nightmare on Elm st was quality too, along with Hellraiser 2

You've got me interested in this Horrorthon at the IFI now.

Do you have any information about it?

John

http://www.horrorthon.com/festivalnews/index.htm

The good news is I haven't heard of quite a few of the films. The even better news is that Ruggero Deodato is going to be doing a Q&A about Cannibal Holocaust... I'll have to pick up my tickets soon.

This surely has to be somewhere in the top 50 horror films... I Drink Your Blood...
    "A band of satanist hippies roll into a town and begin terrorizing the local folk. They rape a local girl and her grandpa goes after them. He fails and is given LSD. This bothers his grandson and he gets back at the hippies by feeding them meat pies infected with blood from a rabid dog. They turn into crazed lunatics and begin killing and/or infecting everything in their path."

• Advertisement

That is absolutely hilarious! It's certainly a must see.

Cheers for the link. I'll ring and see about tickets.

John.

Lodgepole wrote:

The good news is I haven't heard of quite a few of the films. The even better news is that Ruggero Deodato is going to be doing a Q&A about Cannibal Holocaust... I'll have to pick up my tickets soon.

Excellent, That Q&A could be really good. I've only seen Holocaust and another film by him, House at the Edge of the Park i think it's called. Bit of a rip off of Craven's last house on the left in many ways. I did loike both films and both are not easy to watch. I'll have to look into getting some tickets to that festival. Doubt it'll be the girlfriends cup of tea though!!

I will definitely have to pick up a copy of Don't Look Now. I'm intrigued that I haven't heard that much about it up too now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I haven't seen 8 and 10. Susperia got #3?! Brilliant! Didn't think it would ever be in such a list.

Lodgepole wrote:

Damn you all and your being legal adults!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Never even heard of 'Dont Look Now' Just ordered it on play.com based on Karls ravings.

Went to order Don't Look Now on Play and am familiar with the film. I believe i've seen bits of it while channel surfing late night TV. For €7.99 though I may well sit in for an evening and see the lot of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

If anyone is interested, the Sci-Fi channel is showing "Don't Look Now" on 28th October.

FILM: Don't Look Now

Channel: SCI FI 130
    Date: Friday 28th October 2005
    Time: 23:50 to 01:55
    Duration: 2 hours and 5 minutes.
    Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland give memorable performances as a married couple disturbed by their past in this unnerving psychological thriller.
    Director: Nicolas Roeg
    Starring: Julie Christie, Donald Sutherland, Hilary Mason, Clelia Matania, Massimo Serato, Renato Scarpa
    (1973, 18, 4 Star)
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=58187
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Thats grand. I too was going to buy based on Karl's ravings. I'm expecting big things from this....life altering things.

Too late for that now, item paid for and shipped. Won't have to wait til the end of the month it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

its odd how much opinions vary..
    id have to say ring and blair with were the scariest films ive ever seen.. not that thats what this thread is about, but still, i thought the exorcist and texas chainsaw massacre were terrible and completely unsuspenseful...
    but BEST horror film id have to say omen and shining and all that jazz..

doonothing wrote:
    its odd how much opinions vary..
    id have to say ring and blair with were the scariest films ive ever seen.. not that thats what this thread is about, but still, i thought the exorcist and texas chainsaw massacre were terrible and completely unsuspenseful...
    but BEST horror film id have to say omen and shining and all that jazz..
    Suspense doesn't necessarily make a good horror. Horror is an odd genre... It's films don't have to scare you... They can shock you, or even just amuse you... The Exocist wasn't supposed to be suspensful. Truth be told, it isn't really supposed to be a horror film. That said, The Omen, The Shining and Ring are all excellent examples of the horror genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Shamrok wrote:
    If anyone is interested, the Sci-Fi channel is showing "Don't Look Now" on 28th October.

FILM: Don't Look Now

Channel: SCI FI 130
    Date: Friday 28th October 2005
    Time: 23:50 to 01:55
    Duration: 2 hours and 5 minutes.
    Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland give memorable performances as a married couple disturbed by their past in this unnerving psychological thriller.
    Director: Nicolas Roeg
    Starring: Julie Christie, Donald Sutherland, Hilary Mason, Clelia Matania, Massimo Serato, Renato Scarpa
    (1973, 18, 4 Star)
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=58187
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

good man, will be watching that, gonna put reminder in phone now

I liked blair witch when i saw it. Unsettling would be the word. I found the Exorcist disturbing when I first saw it. Not so much for the major possession scenes towards the end but the whole section where the doctors are trying to determine the problem and putting it down to mental issues.

I don't think at this age (25) ya really get scared ( the odd jump when a cat rattles a bin or something aside ) by film. What i find is at varying stages in life and depending on where your head is at the time that a film can really unsettle and get under your skin when you watch it. There have been many films that I would have watched, and I'm taking my upcoming viewing of Don't Look Know as a potential example, and have enjoyed but not neccessarily been rattled by on the first viewing.

When watching Don't Look Now in the coming days I won't be a parent. I can imagine however that once i become one the film would take on a whole new meaning for me and become all the more so. It comes down to how you can relate to what your seeing.

As a kid everything is much scarier cause you have no control over your imagination and are still inclined to believe whatever you see as being possible. Nightmare on Elm St got me as a kid but it's just cheesy fun now!!

Am i making sense or just ranting on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ok, unsuspenseful was the wrong word.
    actually, its not even a real word so anyway...
    i enjoyed the exorcist well enough, but the unbelievable hype was ridiculous.
    texas chainsaw massacre, i didnt even like, nothing in it scared me! not even a jump! awful predictable, but probably just because half the horros ive seen are ripping it off but still...
    didnt tink they were good horrors

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Glaring ommisions, for me at least, are The Exorcist,The Thing and The Evil Dead.

I also thought The Shining was a major diappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Amityville Horror - though I haven't seen the new one.. old one is great!

Oh and The Ring as crap as I thought it was scares the living daylights out of me. Can't stand it!!

Advertisement