Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox link up thingy...?

Options
  • 10-10-2005 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Can I use a normal ethernet cable to link up two xboxs? If so, is it just one plugged into the other, or do I need a hub etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

system link you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

if it's just two xboxes then the easiest thing to do is use a crossover cable (a normal straight-through ethernet cable wont work). If it's more than two xboxes then you need a switch (hubs are dead and no longer available, switches are advanced hubs) and a straight-through cable for each xbox to connect to it.

Dont go buying an expensive crossover cable, you should pay about a €5-7 max for one in maplin or elsewhere that will do the job just as good as the one in the fancy wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

A cross-over cable eh? Damn.. thank jeebus I didnt get the whole thing organised only to find out it didnt work. Yeah, just planning on a two x-box system link. So.. a cross-over cable eh? Innnnnteresting. If I got two normal ethernet cables going into a hub/switch would that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Sorry if this goes off the point but when you connect two boxes together would this allow me to play for example Halo on two different TV's. Player 1 on TV1 and Player 2 on TV2? Would each user require a copy of the game? Also do you have to configure anything to allow the system link? I hope im not annoying anybody with my lack of xbox knowledge? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

A cross-over cable eh? Damn.. thank jeebus I didnt get the whole thing organised only to find out it didnt work. Yeah, just planning on a two x-box system link. So.. a cross-over cable eh? Innnnnteresting. If I got two normal ethernet cables going into a hub/switch would that work?
    yes a switch/hub with normal ethernet cables would work fine but crossover cables are cheap (and they dont need a power source like the switch).

deadfingers: system link is a doddle to set up but you can only play games that support it and you need a copy of the game on each xbox. Most FPS games like halo support it but you cant play co-op mode in halo over systemlink just against each other (up to 4 people on each TV). Doom3 has a system link co-op mode though that is good fun. If you havent tried doing it definitely give it a go as it adds a huge amount of gameplay to your games collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I just ordered a Crossover cable from eBay for this purpose during the week.
    I think including shipping it came to under €5, and I kinda got stung cos I stupidly missed the fact that Postal Insurance was mandatory.
    A lot of sellers on eBay make it nice and easy for you, as they have XBOX in the product description so you know your buying the right one!
    Also, I think there is a guy in the Computer Hardware forum who will make one up for you, and this would probably work out a bit cheaper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Think halo2 allows system link co-op no? Memory is fuzzy on this subject.

Advertisement