Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching

Options
  • 06-11-1999 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

im thinking of switching my os to linux but im wondering about my hardware is there any probloms in it getting detected and most importantly can i still play quake and all my games on it ???? just wondering

elexes --- wants to get rid of ms os

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm only new to Linux, in the version I was using, setting up your h/w was a nightmare!
    But supposedly the newer versions have sorted that out.
    As for games, I've seen a lot of patches out there for Quake.
    I've also seen (and played on) loads of Linux servers running Half-Life.
    I'm still downloading WinLinux2000, 25% complete...
    www.winlinux2000.com

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is an illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

The only problems you should have with hardware is if you use a Winmodem or Winprinter, and I suspect WinDVD too.

Everything else should be detected during the install, it's a good idea to know a bit about your graphics card and monitor settings beforehand.

You can actually buy Quake II for Linux now. I saw it in GAME a few weeks ago.

After seeing a sneak preview of Corel Linux today I'd suggest holding out for a week or two. It looks really cool, and the installation is meant to be fool-proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

If you do get Linux, I reccon you should still hang on to your Win32 partition, otherwise if you want to play the new releases you'll have to wait for a Linux patch. tongue.gif
    I suppose it's only a matter of time before games are ported directly to Linux, but until then, Win9x will still be a ghost in our attic. sunglasses.gif

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    www.gibworld.com/grotto

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 06-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 06-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 06-11-99).]

Advertisement