Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Freedom of Speech" on the WWW, is it important ?...

Options
  • 09-10-2005 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

'Freedom of speech' on the Internet, Is it important to you ?...

As some may have gathered, I have a tendency to state what I think, and naturally sometimes have too retract statements, but I am a firm believer in everyones right to express their view, and I support the view that the Internet and its forums/blogs etc, should be Self regulating and not under the thumb of some 'Self appointed' governing body, trying to regulate the 'Unregulateable' freedom of the World Wide Web.

Whats your view ?...

Click on this link;
    http://www.netfreedom.org/

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good man Paddy. A great topic if for no other reason than it will save me a banning :rolleyes:

Opinions in the context of the boards are a delicate thing. I wouldn't see a lot wrong with saying how you feel about something providing it is done without causing offence.

However it is bang out of order to state something that you believe to be a fact when it has not been proven or no proof offered by you. It is also dangerous to insuate something about someone again when there is no proven basis for same.

A good example here would be a post by Paddy20 a couple of months ago where he stated that a particular politician spent time in prison for corruption. Paddy subsequently withdrew the comment and apologised after it was pointed out that he had named the wrong individual.

But that was a terrible thing to say and completely without foundation. If that statement had appeared in a paper there would have been a day out in court. The reason it hasnt gone to court (yet) as a result of posting here is because the person in question did not see it I would assume and it was not brought to his attention. What should have been posted and would have been acceptable was something along the lines of expressing disgust at ANY politician to accept bribes or saying that he deserves all he gets.

Express your feelings but dont go naming people and making accusations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Fair point, but it was a genuine mistake, corrected by me as soon as I was made aware that I had mistakenly named the wrong Ray ! :o I openly admit that I am only human and my post was not of 'malicious intent' which is important.

To err is human, the thing that I hate is when people sit on the fence, afraid to express an opinion, because all their lives they have been browbeaten into believing that "What they think is irrelevant" when in fact the only way we can improve our world, or even our own town is by publicly opposing what we believe to be wrong or unjust.

That is why I will keep posting my opinion, and no doubt having to edit same, while encouraging others to do the same ;) .

P. :cool:

Paddy, of course that was a genuine mistake and you and I know that but what if the man in question had seen it -- would he have bekieved there was no malice in it. I was inly using that as an example and not being selective.

If you posted your comments on the message board in the local church or library or in the window of a local shop would you think that they are any more or any less contraversial than on these boards. Or to put it another way do you think that anyone can post what they like here without fear of reprecussions.

There is a very limited number of people viewing comments here but would you put the same comments in an open letter to the people they are directed at.

By all means express your thoughts but have a good think about the content first. And you are right there are not enough people expressing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I believe that 'Cyberspace' is a new frontier of freedom of expression, especially speech . I am honestly not aware of any cases where individuals have faced court proceedings, for making outrageous statements on Internet forums, and I mean statements that had they been published or written in the real world of 'hard copy' would have given rise to possible litigation. The WWW seems to be a bit of a grey area, and forums tend to be controlled by Moderators, some good some bad, some sensitive some not sensitive.

I believe the legal complexities of what is publishable on the Internet, are not yet controlled by some almighty 'governing body'. Peoples personal taste as to what may or may not be acceptable on the WWW appears to be the main controlling factor, and as for peoples taste, well anything goes, as they say, and long may that remain the state of play.

Ordinary everyday law, can not IMHO be applied to 'Cyberspace' and comparing real life cases is not appropriate.

Now, exscuse me, but I have a Moderator 'stuck' in my throat ! :eek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Surely paddy we are not getting to you. :)

Freedom of speech is a god given right, along with the right to vote, the right to make a decision, the right to breath etc.
    If you decide to make a statement, then you should be able to abide to live by the statement and any consequences that come with it.

There was a legal case in roscommon/meath where by a disgruntled person (lets call him Mr A) proceeded to make statemnets about a local politician/publican claiming that that person was a child abuser.

Now allegdly this information was passed on from another local but Mr A decided to act upon it and produced posters and preceeded to put them up in the local area.

As you can guess, legal proceedings find for the publican and mr A found himself in a whole heap of trouble (not sure of the total outcome but i do know that he got a criminal record).

In short, for freedom of speech to work then it can only be made when the information is correct and accurate. Incorrect information can lead to knock on effect that may snowball out of all proportions.

Just my tuppence

• Advertisement

For anyone who thinks they can post anything they like here they should have a look at this thread first. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311479&page=1&pp=20

Join in the debate there when you are at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

very good point muffler

if you are out of line, you are expelled to

PRISON

MUUUUUWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :):)

Advertisement