Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stars

Options
  • 09-10-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Anybody listened to this Canadian band much?

New tune Ageless Beauty is a stomper, anybody bought the album??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Got it a while back, tis a great album, kinda like a lesser Postal Service but still damn good! I love Amy's voice, full of innocence! Seen them when they played Sugar Club in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Mr Rivers wrote:
    Got it a while back, tis a great album, kinda like a lesser Postal Service but still damn good! I love Amy's voice, full of innocence! Seen them when they played Sugar Club in September!

Heh, I thought that Dublin's Finest had responded to his own post as the avatars are the same. Anyway, I took a listen to the album 'Set yourself on Fire' and I thought it was alright, nothing special really. I think the first track is great, but after that it's fairly average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Serbian wrote:
    Heh, I thought that Dublin's Finest had responded to his own post as the avatars are the same. Anyway, I took a listen to the album 'Set yourself on Fire' and I thought it was alright, nothing special really. I think the first track is great, but after that it's fairly average.

Celebration Guns and Calendar Girl are two of the best tracks I've heard all year...
    Their previous album 'Heart' is just as good, for anyone liking 'Set youuself...' check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I have both albums, I think they are both class. went to see them in the sugar club in september after listening to set yourself on fire once. they were great live, although I think whelans would have been a better venue for ppl to get up and dance. Really like Reunion, track 4 on set yourself on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

They've 3 albums, Nightsongs was their first, it's pretty good, but they're not as developed as they are now. I was at Sugar Club too, amazing gig, best I've been to in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Well, it's been ordered from Play.com so I guess I'll find out soon enough!

woo! they rock...well worth however much you paid for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Really like Brian (Anyone remember them?)

Anyway, it's a good album. Anyone think that 'Reunion' sounds likle God Bless Mom by the Frames??

They're coming back in December to play in The Village

ThatBloke wrote:
    They're coming back in December to play in The Village

Tickets for this are on sale now for anyone who is interested. Despite not being a fan I think I would be tempted to check them out live since their fans seem to be so passionate about them.

• Advertisement

I have my ticket €16.50....A bargain I say if you wanna enjoy a great night!

tywy wrote:
    I have my ticket €16.50....A bargain I say if you wanna enjoy a great night!

Tickets for the Village are very often this cheap. Josh Rouse, Sons & Daughters and Delays are all playing there in the near future with tickets priced under €18. All decent bands as far as I'm concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

I love Stars. Even their early album Nightsongs is ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

i loved set yourself on fire! i need to get my hands on their earlier albums. i'd love to see them live too- do you know if the village are strict on the whole over 18's id required thing? it could be a problem for me and my underagedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 making strange

ThatBloke wrote:
    They've 3 albums, Nightsongs was their first, it's pretty good, but they're not as developed as they are now. I was at Sugar Club too, amazing gig, best I've been to in ages.

I love nightsongs and their first ep (A lot of lies..., which contained a few of the songs that turned up on Nightsongs). It's a pity they seem to have forgotten about these for their live show (I can't remember hearing anything from these). Woulda loved to have heard them do When? which appeared in demo version on the first ep and hasn't turned up anywhere since.

They seemed pretty cool at the gig, send em an e-mail and ask them to do it at The Village :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I doubt they'll be doing too many of their earlier stuff, they seem so in lurve with their new album. (Besides, they were doing those songs for *years* so they're probably keen to move on). They only did one early song at the Sugar Club - and that was from Heart.

I think there are a few boots of their live gigs floating around, would that keep you going instead? ;)

Also, they've recorded a version of "Fairytale of NY" - I hope they do that in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 making strange

Yeah, happens a lot with me - by the time I get around to seeing a band that I love, they have grown tired of playing from that great first album that turned me on to them in the first place. I call it the Cinerama effect :)

Fairytale of NY sounds like it could be good though - not a song I'd readily associate with their style, but that means it could be either really good or really bad. Not sure I'll be able to make the Village gig though. Anyone know who's supporting (that might swing it).

They had Waiting Room supporting them last time who were pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

odhran wrote:
    do you know if the village are strict on the whole over 18's id required thing? it could be a problem for me and my underagedness.
    I've seen them stop and refuse people, they asked me for ID when I was 18 but havent since then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

well there goes that plan, then- i live in cork and there's no way that i'm coming all the way to dublin if there's a chance i won't get in... it's a hame though, i would have loved to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ThatBloke wrote:
    They had Waiting Room supporting them last time who were pretty good

they were shit IMO.

Sounded really out of place compared to Stars.

They did sound really out of place alright, but that was after the fact, they put on a good show. They shouldn't really have been supporting a band so different from them, but I thought they were alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mrwyoming

We're talking about the gig in the sugar club right? I really detested 'the waiting room' to be honest... the total antithesis of stars; and the sound balance was so off it actually physically hurt my ears (i was in the middle row). It was painful, and the three others mates i was with all found the volume to be really overwhelming! (we're early 20s before you shoot my false hip and dingy back).

Hey.. so maybe their music was good, but i was too busy dying in pain to hear :)

The stars blew my mind though... such a magic band

Advertisement