Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey on Irish government efforts to lure ex-pats home

Options
  • 08-10-2005 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to write an article on the recent Irish government efforts to encourage those of us who are still part of the Irish diaspora to return home and help drive the local economy. I have personally heard the Taoiseach and Tanaiste make this very plea over here and while it appears heartfelt, I wonder whethere they're willing to put their money where their mouths are, and provide more concrete support to help us find jobs and housing, help out with relocation costs, etc. My own personal experience is such that while it's easy finding Irish job postings on the Internet, most Irish-based employers are going to pick a local candidate over someone who's 3,000 miles away.

So what are our options - move back on spec? For those of us with families, student loans, etc. that's not an attractive option, especially in "Rip Off Ireland" these days.

I want to find out if I'm a "sample of one" on this topic before I start the article. If you've been working in the US for a number of years, and have (or haven't) an inkling of moving home in the future, please fill out the survey on this link - http://www.newyorkirishcenter.org/survey.htm - the survey is anonymous, and all information will be treated confidentially. (Note: this survey is not affiliated with the New York Irish Center, despite the obvious URL - I'm just using their website to host it)

I appreciate the help and will post the article once its written.

Dermot Murray

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

is this just for people in the states or al over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Murray

My initial focus is for people who live in the US, but it could apply to anyone living outside Ireland. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've heard nowt, but I'm in England.

Advertisement