Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer networking

Options
  • 02-11-1999 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if what i am trying to do is possible.

Basically i want to set up the 5 computers in this office so they can print off the printer here without being logged on to the UCD network.

Is it possible to bypass the main UCD Network and connect direct to the printer .. seeing as both the computers and the printer can be logged onto the network at present?

Can i set up a smaller network involving just these 5 comps and the printer (if possible using just the existing ethernet connections) rather than setting up a LAN in the office.

Sorry for the ridiculous lack of clarity in the question,

JAK.

ps- The point is so that if/when the main network is failing we can still all print of the printer in the office without having to move the printer and printer cable around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There is a networking board ! But anyhoo, There are 1 or 2 ways i suppose. The first one that pops to mind is to quite simply put all the machine into their a new workgroup, eg. jaksoffice. This will allow them all to talk to each other and still talk to the rest of the network as well. I'm not sure what the setup is in UCD, as in if you log onto a server or what, or what os you are using but if you disable the log onto nt server or whatever using win9x and nt then it should then let you just log on to the network without actually connect to any other machines. ( as in set up a peer to peer network ) I realise that I have just written a very confusing post but if you need a hand or clarity then email me at
    gavin@redbrick.dcu.ie

Also what way is the printer connected ? is it hanging off a machine via paralell port or is it plugged directly into the network ?

PS what dep. u in ?
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Cheers,

I've mailed you a reply to your DCU address.

JAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Oh also,

I would've posted to the Networking board but it doesn't look as if its a thriving community so to speak.

Advertisement