Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rats

Options
  • 07-10-2005 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

i love them. but recently we've seen some in our back garden, and my mother has totally freaked out and won't go near it. i hate the idea of killing them, so i bought one of those plug-in ultrasonic things for the shed.

has anyone else got one, and if so, were there any problems with it? how effective are they and how long do they take to work properly? also, are they cruel or is it just a noise the rats don't like? i'm also worried that it might upset my a neighbour's guinea pigs two gardens down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I have two of those things alright (I use them to keep cats out of the garden) They are quite effective once they have an open field. Anything which gets in the way such as trees, hedges, walls etc will have a blanking effect.
    For the same reason, the guinea pigs should be fine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Piggies should be fine two doors down. If you are worried make sure the piggy owner keeps you informed. Should be grand though We have one in the house and the pigs and gerbils in the other room aren't effected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

so yours affects cats? but the box said it doesn't effect cats/dogs etc. i have a dog, as does my nextdoor neighbour-will it affect them?

also, do you think my neighbour would be better off buying her own? she was hoping ours would do her as well. (there is a wall in between the garden, but the rat travels between the two)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

Piggies should be fine two doors down. If you are worried make sure the piggy owner keeps you informed. Should be grand though We have one in the house and the pigs and gerbils in the other room aren't effected

yeah i've slipped a note in her door so she'll get it as soon as she comes home. her piggies are free though, they roam the garden. i was just afraid they might run under the gate (it's very easy for them to escape, they just never have before. they're lazy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It depends on the brand you choose, there are a number of different kinds out there. Usually the guys in hardware shops are happy to set you straight. Some people swear by them and others say they don't work well at all.
    If there are a large number of rats though there are humane rat traps available Ive seen them in Arro hardware shops, although you have to be very careful that you don't get bitten. Wild rats carry all sorts and not good around small animals like guinea pigs.

Be interested to see how you get on with what one you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My cat usually looks after any rats that come anywhere near my garden and rabbits and birds and mice... i.m.o. they are disease carrying vermin , wether they have a right to be there or not. I certainly wouldn't allow on to roam anywhere near my house, and I'm glad that my cat is such a good hunter.

Advertisement