Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PowerBook 170

Options
  • 07-10-2005 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

i found a Macintosh Powerbook 170 in a skip recently, its only worth about 10-15 euro from some prices on ebay.

it seems to work fine, except there is no o/s on it, and a picture of a removeable disc flashes on the screen whenever it starts.

i've little knowledge of macs, so i was wondering what operating system would
    install on this? and how would i go about it.

any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

Hi, just looked it up there, looks like you can install - 7.0.1-7.5.1,7.5.3-7.6.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

OK, thanks soph for info, i probably should have looked that up myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oooh, lucky you - the 170 has a slider, so you can actually set the brightness of the screen and *use it outdoors*. Envy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

luckat wrote:
    Oooh, lucky you - the 170 has a slider, so you can actually set the brightness of the screen and *use it outdoors*. Envy!

I've still got an old PowerBook 145 in a cupboard somewhere - dunno if it still works though...

I think I have the system (7.?) disks for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Apple have released OS 7 for a free download, have a google for it and you can get the disk images frim apple's FTP

[edit] i have system 6 images if you want them [/edit]

• Advertisement
Advertisement