Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrians/joggers On New Road!

Options
  • 06-10-2005 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but people are still walking on the new dual carriageway as if it was still closed off. Seen this week:

1. A woman pushing a child (yes a child) in a buggy down the central median.

2. A jogger in the same spot.

3. A man walking a dog alongside the central median.

Personally I think the woman with the buggy should be prosecuted for child endangerment. The other two should be prosecuted for rampant stupidity. Rang the Guards - "Ring The Corpo". Rang the Corpo - "em, yes we have seen this and had umpteen reports". Well can you do something about it before SOMEONE IS KILLED? Ah - write a letter. Watch this spaqce. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Rang the Guards - "Ring The Corpo"

why would the Gardaí tell you to do that? probably because there isnt money to be made :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've seen them, its a great road for that sort of thing so why the fvck were'nt footpaths incorportated into the contracted design? :confused:

They really are a shower...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

mike65 wrote:
    I've seen them, its a great road for that sort of thing so why the fvck were'nt footpaths incorportated into the contracted design? :confused:

They really are a shower...

Mike.

Allegedly a different contract! But it's only a matter of time before someone is killed or injured. Then you'll see pedestrians/joggers banned, paths going in, etc. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

There goes my plans of using it to jog out that road from Cherrymount and back in the Tramore Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The other day I had to walk in that road from Tramore :O .

The road is a total mess. It's obvious to see that footpaths were meant to be incorporated because the foundations have even been laid down for them! A few months back I saw signs going up for a cycle path but now they've dissapeared they also haven't put in cats-eyes, they have the iron holdings in place but not the reflectors!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya I saw the cycle lane to, aswel as some footpaths being set up on one side.

Ill take more of a gawk next time im around that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I walked my dog along the road one day last week (I wasn't the fella walking along the middle, honest guv!) because I thought there would be footpaths. How wrong I was! The only footpaths were the strange type that magically appear and disappear at roundabouts, which are only of use if you get a lift there and proceed to walk around in circles. The poor dog wasn't too happy at having to walk on the varying surfaces at the side of the road. Por sor paws!

It's a shame there aren't any cycle lanes either - it would be nice to get away from the maniacs in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Gadgie wrote:
    I walked my dog along the road one day last week (I wasn't the fella walking along the middle, honest guv!) because I thought there would be footpaths.

No problem with that, but I'm sure you would agree, having walked it, that the central median is not a very safe place for a child! It's just secure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Freddie59 wrote:
    No problem with that, but I'm sure you would agree, having walked it, that the central median is not a very safe place for a child! It's just secure. :)

The entire road isn't suitable for anything except motor vehicles. Shame, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Gadgie wrote:
    The entire road isn't suitable for anything except motor vehicles. Shame, really.
    And Gardai on revenue generation duties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I emailed the roads dept with some questions this morning heres the reply
    Will cycle lanes or full pavement be added? The road is already popular
    with walkers but they are on either rough ground which will be unfit for
    use in winter or actually walking along the central median! Very
    dangerous, obviously. Full lighting would also be a boost to safety esp
    with all the walkers!

R. The road will have a footpath and cycle paths on the City side of the
    Outer Ring Road, It was more economical to provide these by separate
    contract, hence they are not in place at the moment, we have already
    tendered these works and a start is imminent. The road will also have
    public lighting.

The naming of the various roundabouts could be more helpful - why not
    use the name of the road they occure on? ie the 'Tramore Road'
    roundabout is easy for everyone to identify with, the current name may
    mean little to many. Ditto the Old Tramore Road. Curiously the 'Airport
    Road' roundabout (the logical name for it) exists.

R. Various schools of thought on this, either Named after Road you are
    on/ Named after destination your heading too/ or Townland. We could not
    use Tramore Road Roundabout as one already exists at Superquinn, It is
    also the business address of many businesses in that area and they were
    anxious that it wouldn't change, therefore in the main we settled on the
    Townland.

The direction signs are also open to improvment - merely pointing to the
    'City Centre' is'nt very useful if one is looking for say Killcohan or
    St Johns Park.

R. Signage is in accordance with statutory Signs Manual, there is a
    limit to the amount of info you should display in order to avoid
    confusion. Local's giving directions simply state the Roundabout to exit
    off the Outer Ring Road at, e.g. for St John's Park, you would be
    advised to exit the Outer Ring Road at the Airport Road Roundabout.

Finally will the Old Tramore Road between Avondale and the new road be
    improved? Its in a very poor state and should be regarded as dangerious.

R. Yes it is an objective to realign this and other roads.

Note the reply to signage. What is being said here? Stop and ask a local? :confused:

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think Mike there pointing out that is what the locals would say if you asked.

Cheers for looking into it, very interesting. Which is the old Tramore road? Is that the one we turn of on the Tramore road, one with all the bends and twists, got a bridge shortly after getting on the road? Ends up outside a plumbers shop and it connects to the new roundabout?? That road is really dangerous and many still take it to aviod the traffic jams at the roundabout!

Supprised on a dual carriage way (which it pretty much is) that the speed is so low (no houses on either side either!) and that there putting paths there.

Advertisement