Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking in a new bike

Options
  • 06-10-2005 9:13am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone have any hints and tips with regards breaking in a new bike.

E.g. Keeping below a specific speed for X number of km/s. Amount of km's before first service, weekly checks, etc.

I'm buying a Yamaha YBR 125 on Saturday (didn't go for the Varadero Seamus) and wondering the best way to ease it in.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/298042/

Looks like the one above.

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

Hi Slannesh....in relation to breaking in the machine..all the info. should be at the start of the operating booklet provided....generally, depending on engine size, they recomend that you don't take the bike over say 4,000 revs for the first 500 miles and then maybe 6,000 for the next 500 but it does depend on the engine and the type of machine. There are different schools of thought on 'breaking' a bike in. Some maintain that you should thrash from the word go..mainly sports orientated machines ZX6R, R6, R1 etc.. but personally with your machine I'd take it nice and easy....it'll come back to you in the long run if you look after it....looks like a 4-stroke single which generally do 'exactly what it says on the tin'.....top speed about 65-70mph and returns about 80+ mpg...can't go wrong!......best of luck with it!!.........
    BTW the dealer should advise on collection of the appropriate break in method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hi,

You should try yahoo groups - motorcyle-ireland. Great bunch there. They will be able to help answer all your questions.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ridertraining

This might be of interest. I'd be tempted to try it on someone else's bike first ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

This might be of interest. I'd be tempted to try it on someone else's bike first ;)

That is interesting. I had a GN 125 01', bought it brand new. I didn't know bugger all about bikes so from the moment I got it I was driving it hard.

A year later I was at traffic lights beside the exact same model bike, I pulled off ahead of this guy. We got to the next set and he asked me "How come your bike is way faster than mine ?" I had no explanation until now :)

I don't know if I wanna risk that method with my shiny new YBR !

Thanks for the info guys.

Advertisement