Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick during the War of Independence

Options
  • 06-10-2005 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all, I'm new to the board here ;)

I've actually applied for permission to start a PhD on the War of Independence/Civil War period in Limerick, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me with local sources (i.e. locating diaries, IRA unit roll books etc).

Any takers? I'm aware of all the sources I can use in Dublin and Britain. As a preliminary step, I'm keen to get hold of details of the brigade/battalion/company structure in Limerick during the WoI. I've looked in "Limerick's Fighting Story", and Mossie Harnett's book of memoirs, but there's nothing specific.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Theres a bloke named Tony Browne who presents a history program on radio station Radio Limerick One (105.2) on Sunday nights between 11pm and 1am. Give him a shout and he should be able to either give you relevent info or recommend some reading.

welcome to the board btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 history_buff

Cheers that's a great help! Do you know where I'd get an e-mail address for him?

Only hope I get the go-ahead for it now...

another good place to look is through the archives of the Limerick Leader on O'Connell Street. I dont know if they charge to see their archives that far back though.

Cheers that's a great help! Do you know where I'd get an e-mail address for him?

Only hope I get the go-ahead for it now...

dont know about email address but their website is in the links sticky at the top of the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well I know the leader goes back to th 1950's ... so they might!

• Advertisement

The Limerick Leader was started in 1889, I have the copy of the first edition here from the 100 centenery issue that came out in 1989.

I know that, my great grandfather was the one who set it up, my family has owned that paper up until about 3 yrs ago! But the archives ... i dont think they go all the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

seeing as how you live in the midlands i doubt you will be able to get that radio station but im sure they have a website so try google

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

Somebody's going to be spending a lot of time in front of the microfilm machine!
    Mary I has a really good archive of Limerick papers, including many that don't exist anymore. You'll have to do a fair bit of work on the Limerick Soviet.

The Leonard Collection in UL's Special Collections has to easily be the best source of anything written about Limerick. That priest in unbeleivable.

I'm sure I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know. There must be plenty of museums & places out in the county that have records. Most of the fighting was out in the county anyway.

Thanks for your help folks - yeah, I plan to get old in front of a microfilm machine :D

As I said, what I'm really keen on finding are I.R.A. unit roll books or diaries of local commanders (especially Donnchadha O'Hannigan, Liam Manahan or others) - I know I'll probably find some of these in the Military Archives, but if I can avoid it... ;)

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    seeing as how you live in the midlands i doubt you will be able to get that radio station but im sure they have a website so try google

they have a webstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Well I know the leader goes back to th 1950's ... so they might!

that'd be a great help, seeing as the civil war was in the 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

moshpit77 wrote:

Ah, sure, that kid is so young he can't even remember the civil war in Yugoslavia.

moshpit77 wrote:

might I point out that it was me that suggested the limerick leader, and llimerick man was pointing out that he believed that it would be of little use as the archives only go back to the 1950s.

3 day bans for your self and zachler for trying to be smartarses. you should know the rules by now on comments in threads started by people looking for assistance.

@limerick_man

evidence that the leader archives go back before the 1950s 1939 to be exact, and here is an article referring to a Limerick Chronical edition printed in 1839

The Liemrick Leader and Limerick Chronicle were once separate companies untill the former acquired the Latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

they have a webstream.
    never thought of that lol

You can also add the "Limerick - A Stroll Through Memory Lane" series of books published b y the Liemrick Chronicle to the list as there is some civil war stuff there including pictures of a sandbagged O'Connel Street. Was just looking at Volume 1 here and came accross it.

Umm.. "Well I know the leader goes back to th 1950's ... so they might!", I was saying I'm am positive they go back to the 1950's, so they might go far enough back to cover the 20's!

Ahh, I feel lousy now! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Yeah, sorry limerick_man if you thought I was overboard, I was just pointing out that I thought you were making a mistake saying the civil war was in the 50's, you've clarified that and now I get what you were saying.

However I don't think that it warranted me being ridiculed and called a smartarse without being allowed to explain myself by somebody who's supposed to be 'upholder of all that is just' in this forum, so I won't be contributing here anymore

And apologies to history_buff that this post was overtaken by people squabbling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

they have a webstream.

No they dontt! That finished years ago!!! Their website dosent even work any more

they do actually. their website http://www.radiolimerickone.tk uses the same webstream software as that station in kilaloe uses, destiny media player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

i did a fair bit into the Limerick Soviet, 1919 a while back and got most of my info from Limerick City library - they have quite a good local collection. Also, UL and Mary I would be worth a visit. Afaik, Limerick Leader archives don't go back that far, I can vaguely remember trying to access them but couldn't manage it - but maybe try anyway. Best of Luck! :)

Thanks folks. I'd love to find any families who might have diaries, but I don't know where to look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Write in to the Limerick leader asking readers if they've any sources, do likewise with the 3 national papers, particularly the examiner since it's munster based.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

There is always the Granary as well, there is an amazing amount of old files books in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nansport

history buff, where do you want study? i think someone is already doing a PhD on your area of interest

nansport wrote:
    history buff, where do you want study? i think someone is already doing a PhD on your area of interest
    On my specific topic?

It's somewhat unfair to register, say this and run off without providing proof.

I wouldn't worry too much about that last post history buff. unless only one person is allowed to do a Ph.D on a certain subject. which I doubt.

I wouldn't worry too much about that last post history buff. unless only one person is allowed to do a Ph.D on a certain subject. which I doubt.
    Actually it sounds like someone who wants to the do a Ph.D on the subject, and wants to put me off :D

I don't know how I'd find out if someone else was doing it, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nansport

history buff,
    there is a student in UL working on the topic. Also, there is a local historian who is planning to puiblish a book on Limerick in the 1913-39 period next year. I hope this helps you.

• Advertisement

nansport wrote:
    I hope this helps you.
    Is that supposed to be funny?

I'm not worried about the 1913-39 book, and I will check out the other thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement