Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing windscreen with Insurance

Options
  • 05-10-2005 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever got their windscreen replaced with their car insurance? Would my insurance go up next year? I didn't get a quote yet but its a heated windscreen for an 01 Mondeo so i'd imagine it'd be 500 or 600 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Cucullan wrote:
    Has anyone ever got their windscreen replaced with their car insurance? Would my insurance go up next year? I didn't get a quote yet but its a heated windscreen for an 01 Mondeo so i'd imagine it'd be 500 or 600 euro.

If you have specific windscreen insurance on your policy, it should make a difference to your policy next year. I think i was told you could claim up to 2 a year Saying that I'm not that sure about that point If it is covered what I was told by my insurance company (Hiberian) was to contact them and they'd sort the company out for me. They have a company contracted to do all their windscreen repairs Guess it's probably the same for most other insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I have specific windscreen cover and I'm with Hibernian also. I just want to make sure my premium won't go up if I claim. What happens if I was to change Insurance companies next year? Will my no claims still be intact or is it just intact if I stay with Hibernian and if I change away I'll have a claim against me?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It may depend on your policy. A couple of years ago I had to replace my front windscreen when a stone cracked it. Rang the insurance company (Hibernian I think at the time) and asked if it would affect my NCB. They said it wouldn't and they gave me the number of a recommended company. I rang them and they quoted me a price, I thought it was a bit expensive so I rang a few other places and got it cheaper, the company that replaced it came out to where I worked and fitted the new windscreen. I filled out a form including my insurance policy number, they gave me a receipt for the job and they billed Hibernian. Funny thing was the Hibernian sent me the cheque and it was made out to me. I then endorsed the back of it and dropped it into the Windscreen replacement company. Heard no more about it after that.

Ironically about a month later some scumbag put a rock through my rear heated windscreen so I rang Hibernian again and asked them would this claim affect my premium? They said that I could make upto 3 windscreen claims in any twelve month period, anything after that would hit my NCB.

I have also found that if you tell the windscreen replacement company that you are not going through your insurance company then the price drops dramatically. When your not paying it out of your own pocket the price goes through the roof.

Usually if you look at your insurance disk and see an * after your policy number then this more than likely means that you have windscreen cover.

Either way ring your insurance company as they may send you out some claim forms to fill out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cucullan wrote:
    I have specific windscreen cover and I'm with Hibernian also. I just want to make sure my premium won't go up if I claim. What happens if I was to change Insurance companies next year? Will my no claims still be intact or is it just intact if I stay with Hibernian and if I change away I'll have a claim against me?

I changed insurance companies the following year and there was no mention of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You'll need to replace your windscreen with something else, insurance will let the wind and the rain through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

You'll need to replace your windscreen with something else, insurance will let the wind and the rain through.

ROFL..... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Ken Shabby wrote:
    And I'll have to do it soon its fecking freezing in the mornings now and I'm getting sick of picking flies out from between my teeth while bombing it up the M7 :D
    Its only a little tiny chip/crack at the moment but I'm sure it'll spread in time.

Advertisement