Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Criterion Collection DVDs do you own?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Criterion never let you down. Some amazing sets.

I just own six.

Slacker
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Short Cuts
    Tanner '88
    My Own Private Idaho
    John Cassavetes Five Films Box [far better than the just released region 2 as it includes 8 discs and the 3 hour documentary A Constant Forge]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Slacker
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Rushmore (****ing thing cost me cad$60)
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Chasing Amy
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

I'd kill to own more but I don't have the funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Lodgepole wrote:
    Slacker
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Rushmore (****ing thing cost me cad$60)
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Chasing Amy
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

I'd kill to own more but I don't have the funds.

Is The Life Aquatic a good set?
    I should have bought Rushmore when I had the chance - US$20 when I was over in Texas earlier this year. Owning an ex-rental VHS copy is not quite the same.

Mallrats X is just out. Nothing as detailed as the Clerks X set but looks to be worth a purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Criterion have no extra feature right?

Kazaanova wrote:

wrong

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/about.asp

Kazaanova wrote:

Quite a few don't have features and are still priced highly. There is however very good reason for this... Criterion have spent the last two decades restoring films and building the best possible prints of them. It's amazing the work they do... Watching some of their DVDs and comparing them to Region 2 or earlier editions is astounding.

That said, when they do features they do them better than anybody. Their Brazil set is as packed a DVD as i've ever seen. And their packaging is second to none.

The Life Aquatic is a good set, but very eccentric... In the same way as the Royal Tenenbaums was. The feature length doc is excellent though. Lots of tongue in cheek pieces. The David Bowie stuff is very pointless but it's nice to have I suppose. The commentary was recorded live in a cafe so while it's good it can get irritating. Still it's fairly cheap as Criterion go and while i'm not mad about the film, i'm usually prepared to give Wes Anderson the benefit of the doubt. If I don't grow to like it i'll only have lost can$30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Amazon had a Criterion collection before worth £2000+
    Crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

i just have Brazil

would love to own many more, but the funds wouldn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Brazil and Fear and Loathing in Las Vages. Think that's it for the Criterions.

Both region one (don't think they have region two's of these ?) and both absolutely brilliant.

The Criterion version of Pasolini's Salo goes for serious money on ebay. $350, $400.

The whole collection can be bought off amazon in one go. Would be deadly if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hagi_complex

Around 60, off the top of my head. Maybe a few more. All the Godards, Bressons, Bunuels, Truffauts, Cocteaus, Ozus, Tarkovskys, Renoirs, Roegs and Fellinis that they've released. F For Fake, the 3 Wes Andersons, George Washington, Short Cuts, Burden of Dreams are a few more that deserve a mention.

Criterion are the Rolls Royce of DVD production companies. I'm at the stage where I won't but a sub-standard R1 or R2 disc of a film that they may release in the future, cos everytime I've done it, they've trumped me with a definitive edtion. Since they started producing anamorphic editions (ages ago), I've not been disappointed with any of their releases. As with any films, treat blind buys with caution, but their presentation is second to none.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    Both region one (don't think they have region two's of these ?) and both absolutely brilliant.
    Criterion don't produce outside of Region 1. They have licensed their product to companies in Europe though... The Chasing Amy that you can buy here features all the Criterion features and even the Criterion artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Beastie Boys video anthology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Robocop and Silence of the Lambs, both excellent. Was over in NY at Christmas and was gonna pick up a rake of them but they are way too pricey. great sets though

djkeogh wrote:
    Robocop and Silence of the Lambs, both excellent. Was over in NY at Christmas and was gonna pick up a rake of them but they are way too pricey. great sets though
    You did well to get them, they're both out of print. They're amongst the first Criterion releases. Where in New York did you pick them up? There's some others that have been out of print that I really want to get, Dead Ringers, This Is Spinal Tap, Hard Boiled, How to Get Ahead in Advertising and Straw Dogs.

I got them when they first realeased. Didn't realise they were out of print. Was looking to pick up a number of them in NY but all were outrageous prices. I'd love to get my hands on the Dead Ringers one too. I have the crappy Silver screen edition that was realeased for a tenner a few years back.

Well you've spurned me on to increase my collection now. Realised I had the Film Sisters which is Criterion as well. Have located a copy of Dead Ringers. And have ordered The Killers, The Man Who Fell To Earth and Videodrome. There are others out there that I'm very interested in but some just get so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

My most prized dvd is the Criterion 2 disc Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I might try to get more, they really know how to make an excellent dvd.

Advertisement