Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving License?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I am only starting to learn how to drive(dont want to be 30+ and learning so want to do it when im 18) and I was wondering if I could go up North and get my license up there. Can anyone tell to why I should or shouldn’t do it up North?

P.s Doubt anyone has the driving learning cd uploaded to there sever so that I can download it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

if you get it up north - you'll have to drive with a "R" plate (when you pass) for a year and be restricted to 45mph.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC someone posted that you need to be resident there for 6 weeks or 6 months or something, if you had family or friends up there and a postal address you could use maybe,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Isn't there a backlog up north too? Weren't they all out on strike for ages and a backlog developed? Maybe I'm imagining it. They don't seem to have an active 'waiting times' section on their website. It seems it's more expensive up there too.

DVTA (NI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

you should definitely do your test down here. have you got a provisional already ? the waiting times might be long. apparently you can get a letter from your job asking for a cancellation, reducing the time for yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Matfinn wrote:
    you should definitely do your test down here. have you got a provisional already ? the waiting times might be long. apparently you can get a letter from your job asking for a cancellation, reducing the time for yourself.
    Republic
    www.drivingtest.ie
    Average of Maximum waiting time 40.7 Weeks / Pass rate 54% / many are over a year. - Compare to the average in Belfast.
    Northern Ireland
    http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/pdfs/CustomerServices/waitingtimesdriver.pdf
    WAITING TIMES - Driving Tests
    Average and maximum waiting times for all driving tests booked
    week ending 1 October 2005
    time in weeks / Maximum waiting time in weeks
    Armagh       4     7
    Ballymena    7     8
    [COLOR=Blue][B]Belfast      2  [/B][/COLOR]   6
    Coleraine    7    11
    Cookstown    9    11
    Craigavon    8    10
    Downpatrick  6     9
    Enniskillen 10    11
    Larne        6     9
    Lisburn      5     8
    Mallusk    N/A   N/A
    Londonderry  8    11
    Newry        6     9
    Newtownards  6     9
    Omagh        7     8
    Agency       6    11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Good find cap'n. Wonder what the pass rates are like up there.

Advertisement