Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get a dog but work all day?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Any advice welcome!
    I live in a semi d with a back garden measuring say 20metres x 9 metres.
    Both of us work all day gone from 7am back at no later than 7 pm

She really wants a dog, i have misgivings about leaving even a pair of dogs that long on their own. They would have a good kennel, water feeder and auto feeder even but is this ok or a tad on the selfish and cruel side?

Was thinking of two small dogs so the space was acceptably large for them and they would keep each other company.

Any and all advice and opinions appreciated, primary concern here is of course from the dogs health point of view.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

They will have to be brought for a decent walk every evening when you get home from work. Doesn't matter how tired you are, how cold/rainy/etc it is outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't think a dog is a good idea in such circumstances. Have you considered cats instead? When you would plan to walk the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Having two dogs, whilst they may keep each other company is no substitution for their owners company.
    The only way it would be fair on the dog(s) is if you pay a dog walker to come in during the day to walk them otherwise it wouldn't be fair leaving them for 12 hours a day.
    My advice, don't get a dog unless you can find someone reliable to walk him/her while you are at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

that more or less settles it for me.

Would have no problem walking every evening though but on balance probably not a runner.

Thanks for your opinions!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just one more thing ...

Not only is it "not fair" to leave dog alone for such a long time, it is also asking for trouble.

A large proportion of training a dog happens by routine and "leading by example". Lessons and things learned have to be repeated, practised and corrected on a constant basis to "sink in" and take lasting hold.

A dog (or several dogs) that is left to its own devices for long periods every day will most definitely devise its own entertainment and rules and regulations. (Constant barking being a prime example). With nobody there to teach it differently or to correct it, these "bad behaviours" will establish themselves and the end result will most likely be another "problem dog" that nobody wants and that will end up being killed prematurely in a pound or shoved from rescue to rescue.

So, yes ...it's not a runner :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Just to say again about cats. I was most definitely a dog person not a cat person, but we took in a kitten that was going to be put down. I had all the preconceptions about them having 10 houses and never being there, but it depends on how you raise them. Ours our kept in the house all day and are let out for a few hours when we are there, and are affectionate and will play with you etc etc. About the only thing you don't get is the walks, and you don't have to toilet train them so no mess in that regard either. Far better if the house is empty all day - they soon get in a cycle of sleeping when you're in work (cats sleep 20hours a day or something approaching it anyway).

One thing I would say is get two if your keeping them in all day when you're in work. Only problem I've had with them is them going on the road (after losing the rescued one to a truck). We were dog sitting for a week, and got to say I don't think I'd handle one anymore, think I'm officially a cat person now.

Advertisement