Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats gone blind

Options
  • 05-10-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

My 20 year old cat went blind at the weekend, the vet said she should be able to deal with it, but I was wandering if this has happened to anybody else's cat, and if so, what advice, if any, can you give me. I know she's very very old, but ive had her since i was eight and i want to make her last days as comfortable as possable. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Never had this happen to any of mine but i would imagine keep her from going upstairs (if you have one). And just keep dangerous objects off the floor.
    She is going to be relying on sound and smell etc now so be more vocal and re-assuring to her. Meow to her more than you used to. Oh try not to move things around too much especially where she is fed etc.
    As far as i have heard though pets who go blind or deaf etc can usually deal with it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your cat, but I am sure it will be fine. My cat isn't blind, but only has one eye.

I think in general, avoid moving furniture around the rooms where the cat has access to. Especially the little bed or food trays. That way your cat will get used tot he positioning around the room. Also, beware that cats have whiskers which should help in this situation.

Also, make sure not to over feed, as the cat will be less active. When mine lost an eye it put on loads of weight, cause it wasn't jumping around as much "dept of perception" gone.

B

Edit - Saruman beat me to some points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww bless, what the others have said is a good idea, their whiskers help to sense objects in their way. My 16 yo cat went deaf slowly but manages fine, sometimes I think she's selectivly deaf lol. She knows when cat food is being opened in the next room. So between you cats whiskers and sense of smell and hearing as long as the furniture is left for her to get used to she should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Here's a link to living with a disabled cat.

http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey All,

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. SHe seems to be managing well enough. Got to bring her back to the vet for blood test now so fingures crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

My friend has 2 blind cats. One which was born blind through a genetic problem and one who went blind after neutering!!!

Nothing much more to add. The cats obviously is now an indoor cat, that can be an adjustment.The diet does have to be carefully monitored as a cat who has gone blind after a few years may be more cautious and less active, they are prone to weigh gain.
    Their sense of smell also becomes more acute to it is important not to wear.spray over powering smells in and around the home. Cat subtly mark furniture with their scent glands (This is not spraying, though a minority of cats who have gone blind can start spraying as a marker)

Furniture should not be moved around to much and if you find the cat is indeed bumping in to table chair legs they can be padded.

I am sure the cat will adapt fine and if you wish I wold be happy to put you in contact with my friend who has 2 blind cats.
    Take care Claire.

Advertisement