Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating zone valves !!!!

Options
  • 05-10-2005 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Sorry i know this has probably been covered in dept but i dont seem to be able to do any searches on this forum .
    Currently have the floor boards up repaing some dampness and was thinking of installing a zone valve for the rads upstairs . Are these easy to fit and do i just need to install the valve in line with the flow to the upstairs rads or do
    i need to get all complicated and accomodate some sort of a loop when the valve will be switched off . Any help greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

simplest way is a 3-wire normally/closed 2 port valve (on the flow i think) .switch it with a 3 amp switch/spur and timer(if needed) off a socket circuit .safest bet is to get a plumber to fit the valve in the appropriate spot and then get a sparky to wire it for you unless you know 'exactly' what you're at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

davelerave wrote:
    simplest way is a 3-wire normally/closed 2 port valve (on the flow i think) .switch it with a 3 amp switch/spur and timer(if needed) off a socket circuit .safest bet is to get a plumber to fit the valve in the appropriate spot and then get a sparky to wire it for you unless you know 'exactly' what you're at.

The proper way is to take the supply from the spur that controls the whole heating installation. Also install a room stat in a appropriate position.

Be extremely careful where you fit the valve, if you put it on the expansion pipe it will lead to dangerous consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

pipers wrote:
    The proper way is to take the supply from the spur that controls the whole heating installation. Also install a room stat in a appropriate position.

Be extremely careful where you fit the valve, if you put it on the expansion pipe it will lead to dangerous consequences.
    i know i was just outlining a simple solution assuming that a plumber would place the valve in the appropriate place.if the main pipework and timer are readily accessible it'd be nearly as handy to fit a 3-channel digital timer and 2 room stats cylinder stat and 5-wire n/c valves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Thanks for the info guys !

Pipers I am ok with the electrics my main doubt is where to locate the valve
    i have identified the pipe that carrys the heat to the upstairs rads and it begins to heat up as soon as the heat is switched on , I assume the expansion pipe wont heat up until the system needs to vent into the supply tank. am I correct ? do you think the installation of a 2 port valve will ok or will it cause ny other problems like hammering etc .

Thanks for all your help !!

Advertisement