Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP Advice

Options
  • 05-10-2005 1:01pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

I am looking for some advice at the moment I have a standard Eircom line with there 2meg business stater product. Can you tell me if I went the Voip route would I still have to pay line rental to Eircom because I use there line for DSL or is it only worthwhile to get VOIP when you use a wireless broadband connection. I would really like to go down the route of VOIP so I would love some advice. Oh who is the best provider and is the call quality decent.

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sadly you'd still have to pay eircom line rental as you can unbundle the line like you can with BT and make it data only (ala no line rental)

So unless your making alot of calls and want to cut costs I don't think your situation is the best :(

VoIP is fine for either Cable, Wireless, unbundled lines and if your making crazy amount of calls and wait to save money

But due to the way eircom offering DSL your basically stuck paying €24 per month for a line you don't want to use :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

TCP/IP wrote:
    .........is it only worthwhile to get VOIP when you use a wireless broadband connection. I would really like to go down the route of VOIP so I would love some advice.

It's worthwhile using VoIP anyway if it saves you money. If you need the broadband for general Internet use anyway then you just have to figure out whether or not you will save more than the monthly Eircom line rental cost by using VoIP for your outbound calls. Check the various per-minute rates to your main destinations and get the calculator out.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I think the best option could be try and get wireless broadband and VOIP, by the way what do you lads think of digiwebs metro service

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TCP/IP wrote:
    I think the best option could be try and get wireless broadband and VOIP, by the way what do you lads think of digiwebs metro service

For input on Metro may I suggest this thread > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309016
    ;)

Advertisement