Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another heating problem thread

Options
  • 05-10-2005 10:42am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought i throw this out there to get some feelers.

I recently upgraded my heating timeclock from 3 analog timers for Zone1, Zone2 and water, to a Horstmann channel XL plus which is all digital. This is only in about 2 months or so, so i'll still be able to go back to the guy who installed it, but i like to know where you think the problem is.

It has happend twice that when i press the button for zone 1, the motorised valve doesn't move at all. If i manually open the valve the boiler will fire ok. To fix this problem i perform the reset on the timer unit, which also means that i have to set all my times again.

Question is wheather the motorised valve is the problem, or the timing unit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Are there any room stats? If so are they calling for heat?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes, i have a stat in zone1, which i have calling for heat until 20c, currently sitting at 15c or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Have you tried turning up the stat to its max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

manually opening the valve and firing the boiler doesn't tell you much.you need to 'get a sparky' to see if there's a live getting to the motor of the mv(the brown wire ) when this problem arises . if not check back at your room stat .could be a mechanical problem even with the mv .unlikely to be the timer if you can hear the relay closing on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have put the stat at max just in case.

I understand what your saying about checking to see if the connection is live when the fault arises. The fact that it will instantly start working when i perform the factory reset on the timer unit, leads me to suspect it. It could still however be the mv thats playing up as well. I was hoping that somebody might know of this unit in the trade and wheather or not it does have faults.

Ethier way i can get the timer replaced as new, or stick in a new mv.

Thnaks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i've fitted loads of that brand timer for people. wouldn't buy one for myself though. too complex to program it .never replaced a faulty one shouldn't be too hard to check your switch wire to the mv when it's giving trouble but if the red zone1 light comes on and you hear it click the timer is prob switching ok

Decided to open up the mv and have a look at it when the system engages it. It worked each time but was very inconsistant. After 4 goes it took 4secs, 15secs, 10secs and then 20 secs to open fully. Looks easy enough to replace, but i reckon i'll give the gut who installed it a buzz tomorrow and see what he says.

Advertisement