Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 ATAs or VOIP routers

Options
  • 05-10-2005 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Possibly a silly question, but if I bought a wireless router to go with my current Sipura ATA, and if I configured all the VOIP ports to the same SIP account, would all the connecting phones ring together upon receiving an incoming call to that number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

fisab wrote:
    Possibly a silly question, but if I bought a wireless router to go with my current Sipura ATA, and if I configured all the VOIP ports to the same SIP account, would all the connecting phones ring together upon receiving an incoming call to that number?

When you say "all the VOIP ports" do you mean that you have more than one in the Sipura ATA or that the wireless router also has VoIP ports which you'll be using? Anyway I'd imagine that whatever SIP device was the last one to register (they're normally set to re-register every 30-60 minutes) then that'd be where the incoming call will ring. So it could be one phone ringing for one incoming call and another for the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

If that is true then it wouldnt be very useful.
    3 phones connected to 3 VOIP ports (all configured to the same SIP account). Someone phones in and a random phone rings.
    I was hoping all 3 phones would ring and I could take the call from any of the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Blueface will give you mutiple sip accounts per phone account if you ask them.

But for what I think you want to do, you would be much better using just one phone port on an ATA and a DECT multi-handset cordless phone. This is what I currently do with two handsets (but could have up to 8 in total) You can also call between the handsets.

Willie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

fisab wrote:
    If that is true then it wouldnt be very useful.
    3 phones connected to 3 VOIP ports (all configured to the same SIP account). Someone phones in and a random phone rings.
    I was hoping all 3 phones would ring and I could take the call from any of the phones.

What your trying to do isn't very usefull either, you would be wasting 2 VOIP ports!

Why not use cordless phones or why not use a phone socket adpator?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UberNewb wrote:
    What your trying to do isn't very usefull either, you would be wasting 2 VOIP ports!
    Why not use cordless phones or why not use a phone socket adpator?

Agreed a phone splitter or loads of cordless phones would be a better investment, personally I'd go for the phone splitter....available from eircom stores & Argos stores nationwide :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Thanks for the input guys.

My problem is that the handset(s) will always make their way back to the base station (for charging purposes). The base station can be either upstairs or downstairs. If we're on a different floor and there is loud music or TV playing (or a door closed) we cant hear the handset(s) on the basestation.

What I wanted to do was to set up a separate basestation upstairs and downstairs, the handsets could be left in the cradles and both phone/basestation combos would ring for an incoming call.

A splitter and a long long telephone lead along the skirting seems to be the only option. Its a pity not to use the cat5 cabling I got installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

fisab wrote:
    Yes (if your provider supports it), theoretically you can ring as many SIP accounts as you want for an incoming number.

Aaron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

fisab wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys.

My problem is that the handset(s) will always make their way back to the base station (for charging purposes). The base station can be either upstairs or downstairs. If we're on a different floor and there is loud music or TV playing (or a door closed) we cant hear the handset(s) on the basestation.

What I wanted to do was to set up a separate basestation upstairs and downstairs, the handsets could be left in the cradles and both phone/basestation combos would ring for an incoming call.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt it a case that the primary phone/base station would be hooked up to the ATA/router. The other dect phones don't need to be (?) - in which case you could have one or more additional phones wherever you want them.

Advertisement