Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need career advice

Options
  • 05-10-2005 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm in my final year in college and for the first time I'm not too sure what I want to do next.
    My qualification is a basic Artsy/Humanities degree which is very limited in terms of career opportunities in Ireland and I am wondering should I take an alternative option.
    The degree I'm completing is what I have always wanted to do but lately I've become a little bit cynical and more practical as I realise the point of college is to get a qualification is to get a well paying job and the reality is this isn't easy in Ireland with my degree.
    While I know its important to follow your dream/do what you love..I want to have a decent standard of living and it's a bit startling to know that my qualification is not a guaranteed earner - Pharmacy/Medicine/Carpenter etc. - anyhow this is what I am thinking of doing.
    1. Guards- Seems to have become a fairly cool job, and most Guards seem to be pretty well off.
    2. Lecturer - Do a masters and become a lecturer...good money and long holidays.
    3. Law degree - Kind of vague on this but again good money.
    4. Civil service - Stability, guaranteed money, not too much pressure chance of advancement.
    ...or do I chase my dream stick with what I dream of doing?
    Anyone been in my shoes?
    Just having a bit of confidence crisis re my future as up to now I've always known 100% I wanted to do.
    How do you predict what will be in demand in 5, 10 years time and what are the pro's and cons of the options above.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

yeah its a balls everyone goes through it. Well my Brother did arts in Limerick and hasn't found a job yet for 2 reasons. he went to OZ for 18mts and when he came back he walked into a handy number with an electrician and is earning a lot more than arts would get him. All his friends went on to do the H-Dip and become teachers. They seem to be all fairly happy and secure now.
    My broter is looking for a job now but they seem low enough in wages. I know a lot of people would knock the guards but its a good option. But whatever u do dont' go in as a regular trainee. You've done a Degree make sure u get paid for it. And on that subject if your subjects suit you should give serious thought into looking into being a prison warden.
    I'm looking into lecturing myself and I'm hearing its become a bit of a closed community. Realy hard to get full time work in it and lots of people just doing papers and writhing books for years first to build up there rep.
    The Law Degree will take years to get to the level where you can make lots of money and its a life choice that you don't seem that interested in.
    Yeah Civil Service would be good but then its so varied that couldn't comment on what job you'd be doing but it defo would be good idea to keep an eye on what coming up and how to get into it.
    Don't knopw what your "dream is"? would like to say go for that but that would be bit simple to say. Is it realistic?
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 uhygfgdfs

It's in the media field, and I've heard it said many times that the UK is the only place to go...bah...Have no experience -Why don't they tell you what jobs pay well when you are choosing your degree?!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Same as my bro. He did philosophy as well though. He is interested in working in community schemes and youth centres though so at least he has an idea. The money is terrible and its mostly contract basis because the government keep shifting funding. If your in media chase it. If that is your dream its realistic. Start writing on line articles for different sites. Different sites always looking for reviewers/ testers etc. If your work is good enough you might start getting pieces to do. It’ll probable be all free work for the year but come next year it would at least show your up for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do a post grad diploma or a masters in something you would like to work in?

Don't just go join the guards or civil service as it is a guranteed job for life if that is not what you want to do.

Do you have any interests that may have gained you experience in a field you might be interested in working in?

Do not worry about what your degree is in if you needed a degree in a disipline that was directly related to a job general arts degrese would not exist! alot of employers will be happy that you have a degree at all as it shows that you put in the work and disipline required to gain it.

If your interested teaching is always an option too,easier to get in to then lecturing,nice hours free summers:)

What are you doing your degree in?

Seriously though do not worry about it until the time comes,enjoy your last year in college,have fun study hard get a good degree and then when the time comes you may not even have to worry about it;)

Advertisement