Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat coupe?

Options
  • 04-10-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been looking at replacement cars for months now, ive decided to change my alfa 156 for something sportier of i pass my accountancy finals, the results are out in Nov and hopefully they will go well.

A car that has tickled my fancy is the Fiat coupe 20v in turbo or even non turbo form. Theres a great resource here:

http://www.fccuk.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

but just wondering does/has anyone owned one and is there any decent independent who services them. Im thinking of ringing gerry at ti tmrw to see if he does them, maybe he does.

ANother option would be a 2.2vtec honda prelude

Max budget 10k any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Lovely car. Bangle's best creation. I'd steer towards the turbo if you can afford it & find one. Apart from the obvious increase in poke, there'll be a lot more tuning options.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i knew you would appreciate it ;)

Trying to find a decent one could be a prob tho

A friend of my Mrs bought one from Grandons in cork. It's an 01 Turbo - I think he paid about 15,000, but don't quote me on that.

He's had some mild tuning done, and I believe power went from 215 to over 240. I'd wonder at the wisdom of FWD and 240bhp, but it is a lovely looking car that can crack 6 seconds to 60.

I particularly like the painted dash. I think yellow suits it best.

Are you ready for the "Fix It Again Tomorrow" clichés? :)

oh yeah :D sure all fiats are crap even handbuilt classics like the coupe :p

i actually think if u had the right one and kept it well it should hold its value, they are becoming more sought after

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lovely car, always liked them. The 20V turbo would be my pick - seriously fast (0-100km/h in 6.5). The FIAT coupe was only built till early 2000 but with a bit of luck you could get a '00 for around your budget

You know the drill, get a good one and make sure you get a good non-dealer mechanic before you buy. Maybe the Alfa dude will do it, good suggestion. Make sure you have a budget accrual to book occasional heavy debits against ;)

One thing: timing belt is very expensive to be changed, cause the engine needs to be lifted out

• Advertisement

just like the alfa thats why im wondering does jerry do em :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

There are two advertised on Carzone at the moment. I agree with all the above - a great little car and a classic already. If I sell my Gt Junior you never know one of these could replace it. ;)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=8&xMakeID=8&ModelID=66&xModelID=66&Year=&xYear=&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

gt jnr?

red one is nice, id like leather tho

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If I sell my Gt Junior

Don't sell! Those beauties will be worth a fortune given time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

• Advertisement

There ya go - 6 grand saved, an appreciating asset, lower insurance and less penalty points. Don't forget BIK of about €300 per year, if you could swing it as a company car.

You'll pass the accountancy finals just by arriving in a GT Junior!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

55,324,000 miles / 89,035,347 kilometers. some mileage you put on this Cyrus !!! lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opto

Great car, a friend had one for almost 3 years (20v non turbo) never gave him any major hassles. And it always put a smile on my face when I took it for the odd spin.
    One thing to to watch out for though, a cam belt change is an engine out job which can cost well over a grand to get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Guest456

I seriously considered the FIAT once. It is very hard to get insurance on the 20V Turbo but I got it through Brittons at about €1300 which was not bad at all!

In the end I decided I preferred the Prelude 2.2VTEC but then things changed and I never got one. Might some day though!

I also considered an Alfa GTV but owners and mechanics put me off by saying it was really a "weekend" car. I love the styling though and the interior.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Always loved these and had planned on getting one a few years ago.
    Strange, but I hadn't seen one for a good while and this morning on my way to work I saw four of them!

Advertisement