Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A curious Java programmer

Options
  • 04-10-2005 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey i've been writing java code for a few years now and i'm getting bored... the thing is that i'm interested in looking into the mechanics behind malicious java applets, code, and programs now. Does any1 know where i could get hold of any basic, or even complex, malicious java programs? precompiled obviously and in the .txt form preferably lol! any info would be great :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

If you don't target the latest VM, then you can look at the release notes of later VM's to see if any details are mentioned about security fixes.
    Although I imagine Sun won't be too descriptive for good reasons!

Hmmmm...... I've just thought of a real nice way of ruining someones day.
    Must write an experimental test program for intellectual purposes only....
    But for ethical reasons I can't tell any of you :-)
    If the Java security sandbox stops it... then I'll let ye know what my idea was!

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

craiglen wrote:
    Does any1 know where i could get hold of any basic, or even complex, malicious java programs? precompiled obviously and in the .txt form preferably lol! any info would be great :cool:

Surely if you were programming you'd not need to get the precompiled version? I mean, sure, you could prove your "leet" skills and use introspective classes and javap, and possibly mocha to figure out how it works, but why bother if you can just get the source code, look at how it works (possibly with comments - some programmers are good like that :p ) and compile it. That'd be the easier way wouldn't it?

So I'm curious, if you've been programming for that long why you'd prefer the compiled versions?

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Presumably because they're a script kiddie.

There are legitimate reasons for studying malicious code as source, but what educational value would the have for anyone that can't compile them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement