Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP over wireless - help for newbie ??

Options
  • 04-10-2005 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Im trying to get a 1mb up and 1mb down wireless link installed with Net1 and I want to know if it is possible to use VOIP on such a download speed.

If it is possible, can I keep my old landline number and disconnect from Eircon ? Is VOIP really as good as an ordinary landline number ?

Whats the merits and pitfalls of such an idea

Thanks a million for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I use Blueface (VOIP) over cable and it is excellent. How it will be over wireless depends on a few factors. 1mb upload will be fine (I have 300k). Latency is a big factor. The lower your latency the better. I don't know anything about Net1 but it also depends on their backhaul. If they connect to a satellite service I'm afraid VOIP won't work. If they connect to fibre it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

thanks Paulm. I know what to ask them next time they call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

I use a local wireless providier in Cork. 1M up and down.
    My latency to sip.blueface.ie runs between 140 and 180ms.
    The voice quality is pretty much as good, I never have any breakup at all but there is a background echo occasionally that can be very slightly intrusive.
    its hard to beat the price saving though, my bill has come down from E75 per month with Eircom to E25 per month with blueface.

I would strongly recommend that you have test your VOIP system for at least a month before you drop Eircom though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fisab wrote:
    I use a local wireless providier in Cork. 1M up and down.
    My latency to sip.blueface.ie runs between 140 and 180ms.
    The voice quality is pretty much as good, I never have any breakup at all but there is a background echo occasionally

Ouch!
    I'm managing 13ms with no acivity on my line and I've capped it to 50ms when their is downloads etc...I find more then 60ms causes problems with voice quality echo's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

I seem to be getting away with 140-180ms.
    Have been using it for 3 months now.
    The echo is probably caused by the high latency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

fisab wrote:
    I seem to be getting away with 140-180ms.
    Have been using it for 3 months now.
    The echo is probably caused by the high latency.

140-180ms does seem a little high (45-50ms to Blueface would be typical using Irish Broadband around Cork city) but if it works then that's all that counts. As for echo the only time I see it is when both ends are using cordless (or cheap and nasty) phones.

Advertisement