Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a useful / cheap method of installing CD-ROM based Software

Options
  • 04-10-2005 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I am developing a simple FLASH based children's application which I want to distribute.

Usually, I just place the .swf (movie file) on the CD-ROM and allow the user to run the small application / movie from there.

However, I was wondering about including an installer such as Installshield. I'm not very familar with these to be honest and was wondering if anyone knows of any simple or cheap application that I could download, that might allow me to include a basic installer with my software.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Innosetup is free and good. google for it.

Alternatley, a quick google suggested http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Hi,

I am developing a simple FLASH based children's application which I want to distribute.

Usually, I just place the .swf (movie file) on the CD-ROM and allow the user to run the small application / movie from there.

However, I was wondering about including an installer such as Installshield. I'm not very familar with these to be honest and was wondering if anyone knows of any simple or cheap application that I could download, that might allow me to include a basic installer with my software.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

cheers!

Try NSIS, it's free and there are plenty of sites and forums out there supporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could also try putting the SWF into a HTML file and making the autorun.ini file open the html file. That way it would run when you insert the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

bonkey wrote:
    Innosetup is free and good. google for it.
    http://www.jrsoftware.org/
    Seconded - and written in Delphi :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I second NSIS - its a bit tricky to start with but its very professional, very good, and very free :)

There are GUI's you can use for scripting the installer these days too, which I believe are very good.

And of course - don't forget to tailor your autorun.inf on the disc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement