Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build - To DIY or Not To DIY

Options
  • 04-10-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey there,
    This is a variation on a different question I have already posed.
    I'm thinking of extending and also building (two very different properties in mind) and would be adept at quite a few things, but am wary of
    1)How liable would I be if I built a house and then went to sell it on.
    2)Extensions - Can I still do my own electrics and be covered by insurance.
    Used to be that you could get electrical work inspected (not sure if it was ESB or RECI) and then certified. Does anyone know if that's still the case.

Any pointers etc would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

Just an additional point - has anyone used any of the timber frame companies for an extension??
    Any recommendations??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

BuilderBob wrote:
    Just an additional point - has anyone used any of the timber frame companies for an extension??
    Any recommendations??

Yes...dont.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

it's worth getting professional advice on the liability one, but given that the greatest piles of junk are being thrown up by developers these days, with scant regard for regulations or standards, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

i would recommend that you ensure that it complies with the building regulations in every detail and get your engineer to verify this at every stage. you could probably get him to certify that it is compliant or hire a surveyor to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

BuilderBob wrote:
    1)How liable would I be if I built a house and then went to sell it on.
    2)Extensions - Can I still do my own electrics and be covered by insurance.
    Used to be that you could get electrical work inspected (not sure if it was ESB or RECI) and then certified. Does anyone know if that's still the case.

For new houses the electrician has to sign a cert for you to give to the ESB They won't connect you with out this cert. If you do the wiring yourself You might find it hard to get an electrician to sign the cert unless you know him well cause the blame falls back on them if something is wrong (Like connecting the plugs to the main bypassing the meter)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Kadman,
    Why do you say you should not use a timber frame company for an extension?
    Fingalian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

BuilderBob wrote:
    Any recommendations??

It most certainly is possible to build a timber frame extension. The problem is more to do with finding a TF company that will do a job as "small" as just an extension than anything else.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

Much thanks to you all.
    Some realy great ideas and advice.
    That's exactly what I was hoping for and (if it' alright!!)will keep coming back for.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Fingalian wrote:
    Kadman,
    Why do you say you should not use a timber frame company for an extension?
    Fingalian.

Well for a number of reasons really, ranging from cost to quality.

If you already have a block house, it would make sense to me to maintain a similar build method through out.

Most tf companies , as already stated, will not bother with such a small job, even though a tf build and a block build are regarded as a similar cost issue.

I have yet to come across a tf build that did not have some issues related to quality, ranging from small points to major structural related problems.

Tieing in an extension to an existing building is problematic at best, to maintain an as built extension that looks like part of the original build, is the overall aim of the design and actual building. To accomplish this is tricky enough, to throw in the current poor build methods of a tf kit, is in my opinion , another element.

My opinions are really based on my experience in the tf industry, and I'm not convinced that the general range of tf building has reached a high level of quality at the present time.

Its strange that only recently they are attempting to have an over all consensus, and agreement on proper standards of tf building. It begs the question that if they are only aiming for this now....where do all the tf kits built so far stand in relation to the quality issues.

But thats just my 2 cents worth

kadman :)

Its strange that

Advertisement