Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is a UK GVT/MOT?

Options
  • 03-10-2005 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

What is the difference bewteen an UK GVT and MOT?

Is the MOT like our NCT and GVT just for commercial vehicles?

Are GVT and MOT test centres the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MOT is for cars, GVT is for Goods Vehicles, and ISTR then there's also a PSV test for PSV's, i.e. minibuses and the like. In GB (England, Scotland and Wales), MOT's are done by individual garages which are certified as test centres and as such are subject to random spot checks to make sure they come up to scratch. In NI they have separate vehicle testing centres much like they do here.

I don't know who performs GVT testing in GB, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Thanks for that.

The MOT/GVT system they have seems to be linked to their motor tax system.

All garages then must have computers.

I was just wordering in Ireland the NCT ststem is linked to the motor tax system but not the system for taxing commercail vehicles.

Because of this commercial vehicles can't be taxed online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

You no longer need your NCT to tax a car in Ireland..

In fact you dont even need proof of insurance...

All you need is to provide an insurance company name and what looks like a policy number.

You dont need evidence that you are insured..... :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I agree. But the system is linked to the NCT system.
    The system is also linked to the National Car Testing (NCT) database, ensuring that testing requirements are met for the vehicle.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9390330

But it is funny that it is not linked up for MOT tests on commercail vehicles. It is odd that you cannot tax a commercial vehicle online.

Advertisement