Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your advice would be appreciated :)

Options
  • 03-10-2005 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I have ordered the parts for my first "self-assembled" PC from Komplett. I've been waiting for the goods to arrive from Komplett since last Friday and now I'm starting to have second thoughts about my graphics card.

I've gone with the following build:
    Asus A8N-E Socket 939 NForce 4 Ultra Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHZ
    1024 MB PC3200
    Antec 480W PSU
    Antec Super Lanboy case
    250GB SATA drive
    19" LCD 8ms
    Gainward 6600GT 256MB

My LCD has a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz and I will probably be playing most of my games at that resolution. Do you think that the 6600GT will last me for at least 2 years with decent quality gameplay? I'd mostly be playing UT2004, HL2, Farcry and a little Doom 3.

I have almost ordered an X800XL about 10 times today, but I don't really want to have to send the 6600GT back and spend the extra €100 if I'm not really going to notice a massive improvement at lower resolutions.

I'd really appreciate your advice!

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Pack3t3rroR

The 6600GT is ok for alot of the games at the moment but it wont last your 2 years mate. 128 Bit graphics engine will struggle in future games and i cant see it handling the likes of FEAR to well @ the 1280*1024 Rez. my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to stick with the 6600GT for a year and then upgrade. As long as I get decent frame rates at standard rez without AA & AF I'm pretty happy :D .

I'll get a beast of a card in the new year for €500 or so... after I've recovered from buying my base setup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Had you gone for an SIi board you could have installed a second 6600GT in a few months and given a large boost to your graphics power.

Advertisement